Clown fish

Stogey

Rookie
I noticed this morning that my clown fish were staying as close as possible to the top of my tank. I don't know if this means they're not getting enough oxygen or if maybe they're just trying to get away from the current.

You'll have to give a little more information for us to get some insight on your clowns.
Tells us about the tank.How its set up and what all you have in it.

How long have you had them? They shouldn't be bothered by the current, clowns usually like a good current. Mine act oddly all the time, never do the same thing twice. They hover together at the top one day, split up and hover in different spots another day, the next day they dart at each other-attacking, 1 recently found a new little cave and darts in and out of it. The other 1 sometimes hangs out by the powerhead and swims against the intake current frantically.They are funny little fish and their antics aren't usually cause for concern.
In terms of oxygen...do you have a powerhead/flow pointed at the surface creating ripples? You need this to be happening. Also, do you have a tight fitting lid? I do and when I first started did not know I had to keep the little flap on the lid open for gas exchange.
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Are your levels ok?

Is your clown fish new to the tank? Did you move the rocks around and might have been destroyed his 'home'? Any new tank mate?

Thanks. Really appreciate the fast replys. I transported the tank a couple days ago: Water, live rocks, and so on .Everything seemed to be up and running smoothly. I checked the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, levels. All is well. The only thing I've noticed is the top of my protein skimmer has foam coming from it.

So the tank was already established? Maybe you shook up some detritus, hence why your skimmer's skimming like crazy. Or did you drain the tank a little, then transport? They might just be stressed. I'd do a partial water change anyway.

Welcome to the site!

Ahhh, moving a tank seems like a huge undertaking. I am hoping I never have to tackle it myself. How long have you had the clowns? And how long has the tank been set up?

Yeah. We took about 80% out. We transported the water that was in the tank in two large totes. Is it normal to have the foamy over flow on the skinmer?On my hydrometer it gave me a reading of 1.025. Maybe be a little high too

Sounds like the crown is just scared and stick to the water surface on the tank wall. That's what they do when they were growing up in the rearing tank when they have no where (familiar) to hide.

Salinity of 1.025 is about right for corals, do you have corals in your tank? If not it can be kept a bit lower. When you do top offs due to evaporation you use freshwater right? Not salt

I see your experience in salt water says 1 week, did you buy an established tank a week ago and move it or did you start the tank a week ago? Knowing how long the tank how been set up will help us let you know what is "normal" i.e. the salinity and skimmer etc...
You said your levels are good-do you have liquid testing or strips? What are your nitrates at? Posting all your exact readings will also help us give you advice.

I bought the tank with everything up and running. Drained about 80% of the water and filled it into large totes. Setup all the live rock filled the tank and started everything up.

I was also wondering how/when the water should be changed. I've heard once a week. Noob question

I'm sure others who are more knowledgeable than I will also chime in. Are you buying premixed salt water or do you have a system of making your own? I buy mine premixed from the pet store, but I have a smaller tank and the 5 gallon box for 10 bucks lasts me about 3 weeks.
For a 28 gallon tank you'll want to unplug everything from the wall once a week, scoop out about 4-6 gallons and replace it with new salt water. You'll figure out what percentage water change works for your tank as you test your levels and see what keeps it stable. You will have evaporation throughout the week so you'll want to keep a jug of reverse osmosis water (non salted) by the tank and dump some in every few days.The water evaporates but the salt does not. So dumping salt water in will just make the water saltier and saltier.
You have a biocube, do you have the filter in there? The bioballs? If so you'll want to watch the nitrates (well, you'll always want to watch the nitrates but especially if you have the bioballs and a filter. If you do have the bioballs you might want to start removing them slowing during water changes, maybe a few a week. And if you have the stock filter and you want to keep using it, it'll have to be rinsed in old tank water once a week and replaced once a month. I got rid of mine and just keep some filter floss on the top rack of the middle chamber and I pitch it every few days and replace with new.
You will need a testing kit. It doesn't sound like you have one, they sell them cheap on amazon, api liquid test kits are great, I got mine for 17 bucks with free shipping. You should check your levels weekly. It's kinda fun too, you feel like a chemist :). When you post questions people are going to want to know your specific levels as these can be the cause of your issues. Like, if your nitrates rise, like mine, you need to do a water change or adjust something to keep your tank healthy. So people want to see numbers, like nitrates are at 10, not "my levels are fine" But you'll especially want to know your levels as you've just moved your tank and moving all the sand can start a cycle. (others will know more about this than I) and a cycle can kill fish and larger, more frequent water changes til everything stablizes may be necessary, but, again, you will not know this without testing.
Do you have corals in your tank? If not, the salinity is a bit high, but, this will come down over time as you are changing it out with 1.022 premixed salt water and the fresh water top offs.
I hate to keep asking this, but, do you have the little flap on your tank open? the one on the front of the lid? It looks like it should be shut but it shouldn't.
Congrats on your purchase, the biocube is a fun tank and I think you're really going to like it

Thanks for the post. I'm going to be mixing my own saltwater. I was given everything I need to do it at home. The thing is that the people that I bought the tank off of used tap water with water conditioner on every change. Which is brutal. I'm really thinking about buying a R/O system, since I do have corals in the tank.

I do have a testing kit. Tested it two days ago everything was up to par. About to do another test. The only thing it didn't have was the the testing chemical for PH levels (testing kit came with the tank).

As for the filter, I just have the stock setup. No bio balls though. On the side of the tank there is a place to add fresh water. Should I be putting the r/o water into that. I wasn't exactly sure what you were saying needed to be rinsed out. I have a buddy coming to take a look at my setup so I'm sure that will give me some more sight on all of this.
The only other thing was the protein skimmer is getting a major foam over flow? Any idea.
Can prop the glass up on the top of the tank. I just slid it back a bit so it's not sealed

Did you rinse out the sand before you set it back up? If not, the skimmer is just doing it's job... skimming crap out of the tank.
However, if you added tap with conditioner when you set it back up, that tends to make skimmers go crazy, too.

If you're using the filter that is what needs to be rinsed out with old tank water in your sink, once a week. Most people do not use the filters. Cause they get dirty fast and can cause your nitrates to rise.
The new water can just be dumped in. Doesn't matter where.
How are the clowns doing today? Aren't they fun to watch! What corals did you get with your purchase?

I bought Some Frags from the local fish store. Now I can't even remember the names of the three I bought. Aussie somethings. I'll remember at some point. The tank came with an anemone. Unreal how much the clowns love it.

congrats on the purchase, i started off with a biocube and now im just starting the first cylce on my 155g! get a good look at your clowns and make sure there are no little white dots on them! i had an ich outbreak in my tank once and my fish sat close to the top of the tank. try moving the filter return to point up so there more oxygen in the water. :)

Back