Clown food

bdejong

Reefing newb
What is the best food for clowns? I read that they will eat almost anything. What have you had the best luck with feeding them to keep them healthy and happy. Mine don't appear to be happy with the flake food.

I'd avoid flake food and pellet food, those led to phosphate and nitrate problems in my tank. I feed mine a variety of frozen foods.

I also changed to frozen because of algae problems. I feed frozen mysis shrimp, however, it is better to feed a veriety like biff said.

I personally like to feed my fish a variety of foods. I like the Ocean Nutrition formula two pellets, mysis (enriched with Zoe and Zoecon) and arctipods by reef nutrition. It's a good idea to add a supplements to the mysis and other frozen foods to add Omega 3 & 6 to the food. Almost all frozen mysis is of the freshwater variety and is lacking in these fatty acids. It is also advisable to rinse your frozen food before you add it to the tank as the fluid it is packed with can be full of phosphates and nitrates. HTH.

I use frozen food as well. The brand I use is Formula One and my clown fish seem to love it. When I stopped using flakes I noticed my phosphate levels dropped as well. Hope this helps

Thanks to everyone, I now have my shopping list. I wish I could afford to ahve nice fresh shrimp prepared for em every day.:Cheers:

there are threads that tell you how to make fish food from products from the seafood counter at the store like raw shrimp and raw scallops and the like. If i recall, the thread said for like 60 bucks you can make food that will last almost a year.

Brian

I picked up some frozen brine shrimp cubes and they went at it with guhsto. :^:

I took a small portion of the cube and thawed it in a cup of the tank water. I then sucked into a large syringe (my wifes a Vet Tech.) and squirted a little at a time into the tank. They went nuts over it. I fed them until they didnt appear interested anymore, not a whole lot but they got enough. Even the crabs came running to get the little that settled to the bottom. I had the pumps off while I fed them to keep it from being injested straight into the filter.

Rinse the food in cheeze cloth, get some selcon and soak the food in selcon. then feed to the animals. the selcon is good for the corals and filter feeders. it will put nutrition back into the food. not a lot of selcon but just enough for the food to obsorb some. watch your water parameters until you get use to using this method. Once the selcon soak is done you can add some water from the tank to dilute the selcon a bit and provide enough liquid to siphon up and feed tot he animals. hope this helps.

Next question is how much to feed them and how often?

I am currently feeding them twice at night, once when I get home and once before the tank lights go out. I feed them a little at a time until I notice them not actively going after it.

Is it possible to overfeed? How do I know they are getting enough. they are very active and energetic and I want to keep them that way.

BTW, I am also using Omega One Frozen Brine and they love it

It is possible to overfeed. Only feed as much as your fish will eat, try to minimize how much food gets left on the bottom of the tank. If you start having nitrate or phosphate problems it can indicate overfeeding. I feed my fish (13 of them total) one cube of frozen food twice daily. You might want to switch from brine to mysis shrimp, mysis is more nutritious.

Your fish should not have a sunken belly/ or pinched belly, and also should not look like they are bloated. some where in between. you can play a bit with it but sounds like you are doing just fine, except i would feed morning and evening if feeding two times, and if only one time at night is fine. I would also skip one day per week where not food is given, if you feel you have fed a little too much.Keep us posted on your feeding routine. if it is working for you keep it up. ultimately it is always better to feed as ofter as possible but small amounts. since most of us cannot do that its either one time or two times a day or every other day etc. so when you find what works for you share with others. it will not be the same for all.

Back