Clown Mate

sagent3000

Reefing newb
i bought a Black Ocellaris a few weeks ago now if i buy a regular wild caught ocellaris would the wild one convince the black one to go in the long tentacle anemone? or would they fight? i play to get the wild caught one bigger than the black one

From what I have read the bigger one will become a female if not already and should become a mate. As far as the anemone I am not sure about. I hope something here helps.

No one can be absolutely sure, but, you stand a good chance of a pair eventually and you stand a chance of fighting, also there is a chance that the anemone will not be hosted by the clowns. Your approach is worth a try.

it worked the two car happy and won't stay away from each other. but there is one thing i need to mention

the black osclleris is not an oscellris but its actually a pecula. i found that out today when i got to the store but they are happy together.

now for the other thing i am switching lights i just won a dual 400 watt pfo metal halide ballast off ebay will that plus 4 110 VHO Actinics be to much light in my 75 gallon?

keep the lighting high off of the water but it should be fine. be sure to aclimate the tanks inhabitants to the light SLOWLY. what i did when i switched from PC to MH was take some of that cheap window screen from Menards and cut it into pieces that were the same size as the top of my tank. i removed one piece every three days for about two weeks. i would probably allow for more time though with the 400w MH from your PC's.

Thats a tough question, so, I can only share with you my thoughts which are by far not the absolute gospel. There are many opinions on lighting. I would go with a 14K Mh and Atinic o3 / 6.5K on the VHO. The anemone's seem to like the 6.5K. The 14 will provide enough blue and white mixed, the 6500 will simulate closer to noon day sun spectrum, and the atinic 03 will give you a dawn dusk ramp up and down and the correct blue spectrum for flourescence. hope this helps. research your bulbs as different manufacturers bulbs will give off a slightly different visual effect. I am using 250 w. 12+K mh and 6500 K compacts and atinic 03 on my system.

Last edited:
i just got SCREWED!!!! the guy who i was buying the ballast from sold it to someone for $250. so i am back to the dual 250 ballast so which bulbs should i get?

250w 5500k BlueLine MH Lamp
250w 6500k BlueLine MH Lamp
250w 6500k Iwasaki MH Lamp

i am still going to ge the 4' 110watt VHO in Super Actinic URI

Double ended, or screw shell. if screw shell I like the german made 12 or 14K/hamilton is ok, with half 6.5K and atinic 03 on the vho.

Back