Clownfish Dissapperance

Odanhammer

Reefing newb
So the other day i did a slightly larger water change , which had some results of dropping some rocks , after moving them back into position , noticed the day after both my clownfish were acting extremely weird.
One was almost life less at the top of the tank , the other hiding at the bottom in the rocks ,clearly looking more lively then the other.
Both had been swimming together for the past 3 months near the powerhead.
Day after that , one clown is found without tail dead at bottom of tank , the other is MIA. Can't find it anywhere. Its not out of the tank as i've searched extremely well, as the tank is only 35 gallons there is no sump or over hang or anything. I've tried feeding to see if it would come out of the rock.. it has not. Nor can i see it anywhere in the rock.
I don't see a dead body harming my tank , meaning everything is as healthy as its always been the past couple days since the clownfish went MIA.

I'm not concerned with WHY it died , i'm concerned with any suggestions on HOW to find the thing. Any ideas what i should be doing , other then taking the tank apart to find it.

Do you have a clean up crew? If so, they will have probably eaten the body. It's not unusual to not find a body if you have snails, crabs, shrimp and/or starfish. They are just doing their job.

The only way to find the body would be to take the rocks out. And if it died inside a rock, you might not even find it if you do that.

how long should i wait before confirming death? like is it possible for this fish to be hiding in the rock for longer then 4 days ?

I've had a firefish go MIA for 3 weeks. It finally came out, skinny, but alive. But if yours never comes out, chances are it died and the CUC already did their job. Check your water params. Maybe you stirred up some sand which caused a mini-cycle.

Back