Clowns

2008pollyanna

Reefing newb
I have a typical nemo clown. She just recently hosted an anemone that has been in my tank. I also have another new bubble tip in my tank waiting on a tomato clown that will arrive tomarrow. Do you think they the clowns will fight? I am abit nervous. My nemo clown has been normally very easy going. Just within the last couple weeks she started hosting her anemone. She does seem more testy now. Like anybody that comes near her anemone she naggs at them or lightly chases them away. When I put in my tomato clown tomarrow, I am going to put her in near the other anemone which is on the end of the tank. Hopefully she will snuggle in before my other clown even notices to soon. Again, 2 different species of clowns. Do any of you have 2 different species of clowns in your tanks?

I also have a couple cleaning wrasse coming in tomarrow. Can they live in the same tank without fighting? Trying to decide what to do? I do have an addl tank...29 gallon biocube with 2 dragonettes and 3 peppermint shrimp. I could always send something over. But, my intentions for this fall, is to make my biocube into a seahorse tank. Dont really want to add wrasse, very hard to catch to move out. I dont think the dragonette gobys or even the peppermint shrimp can be with seahorses....

Adding two different species of clowns (especially in a small tank) is very risky. Especially because tomato clowns are typically more aggressive than most other species of clown. If I had to bet money, I'd say they're going to fight. And clowns will usually fight to the death.

Some people have had luck mixing clown species, but most people do not. And it is usually only successful in very large tanks where the clowns keep to their own territory and tend not to run into each other.

Cleaner wrasse should be kept alone, and will kill each other if kept in pairs. Did you research these fish before you bought them? This is a fish that should not be kept in home aquariums. They starve to death very quickly. They feed solely on the parasites living on other fishes bodies, and when they finish cleaning your fish, they die. They can be kept in fish stores because fish store owners are constantly getting in new fish, and hence new food for them to eat. I recently read a statistic that their survival rate in captivity is a 1 in 1000 chance. Definitely a fish that should be left in the ocean.

If you want to keep a fish that will help your other fish be parasite free, a cleaner goby is a much much much better choice.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I do have two different clowns. They both get along quite well. The only reason I have two different ones is because my sisters each bought a different type. It was not by choice. So like everything else if it works for one it might not work for someone else. Only time will tell. If you do decide to put both in same tank do it ater fish are feed and with lights out. This way maybe the new clown won't be so noticeable. Good Luck. Keep us updated.

I would't add a different species of clown like the others have said obove but Rigosharon has a 20 gallon with 3 clowns (not sure wich ones)

Back