clowns

dwinzent

Reefing newb
i have a true perc and an onyx perc that i was hoping would pair. i purchased them when the were both juvinile and had been kept together when purchased. for the first months there was some chasing done and would usually end in the onyx submitting to the true. however lately i have noticed they have not been hanging out together as much and the true perc is hosting my anemone but the onyx ignores it. the real reason i am posting is because today i noticed that the onyx is missing some pieces of its fins and i am not sure if i should separate them. i do have a velvet damsel in the tank which i might also suspect of doing it but i am not sure. the only other fish i have is a purple pseudo that i would not suspect but may also be an issue. thanks in advance.

I think as Clowns grow more mature they become more territorial. They will probably become worse as the try to dominate their areas. I have a 150 and it wasn't big enough for mixed clowns, even though you would think it would. I ended with a pair of Maroon yellow striped Clowns after trying to mix different kinds.

Last edited:
+1 dcan

Two different types of clowns have a 50/50 chance of getting along if the tank is really big. If not, there is almost no chance, they will eventually fight for territory.

I agree. I had a tomato and a GSM and they fought all the time.You have a better chance with the bigger tank you have.

I've seen mixing em work,about 10% of the time.The other 90% theres usually problems.
But I've also seen damsels cause the problems,and I've seen pseudo's cause the same problems.
I'd try to figure out which fish is doing the nipping before I removed one.

Back