Collection & use of saltwater

tboyd

Reefing newb
Hi all,

My new tank is going really well and I have been considering collecting my own saltwater as I live on the coast. I have not been able to find any info on this as to. eg is all I need a protein skimmer to be able to use saltwater I have collected?

After any advise anyone can give on this.

Thank you in advance.

Tania :sfish:

In the US, it's usually recommended to go about 1 mile off shore to collect water so that won't be polluted from run off, etc. I'm not sure about down under tho ;). I would think the water in Aus is cleaner close to shore than it is the the US. You may be OK just going a few hundrerd meters out.

I'd say get a gallon or so and run some tests on,mainly nitrate and phosphate.
If those show good,then you'd probably be alright.

Thank all I really appreciate the advise. I do have another question maybe I should do a new post?

I have been advised by my LFS that if I plan on corals, etc that I need to add all these nutrients, etc to my water twice a week, which of course are quite expensive. Would be interested to know what really is needed to be added to a tank on a regular basis to help support corals, etc and if I was gathering real saltwater wouldn't it contain these nutrients. eg. iodine, calcium, etc......

Don't dose anything you don't test for. If you plan on keeping hard coral, you should be testing for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. Depending on the reading of the water you use and the types of coral you get, you may not need to dose anything. Regular partial water changes may be enough to keep your parameters in line.

A lot of those additives are overrated, and overpriced. Many people keep beautiful tanks without using them. Regular water changes will replenish most of what you need.

A lot of those additives are overrated, and overpriced. Many people keep beautiful tanks without using them. Regular water changes will replenish most of what you need.

So the only time you'd need them is if your cal, alk, and mag are too low? I know my calcium is steady at 360ppm. I guess that's the most my salt mix will give out. Sorry for the hijack :) I'm going to be diving into corals once my nano is set up :mrgreen:

Like was already said,Dont dose anything you dont have a test kit for.Having levels too high is as bad them being too low,if not worse.
Plus for most,the regular water changes will keep everything in line.

Back