Combine Refuge & Sump?

dankolle

Reefing newb
Hey guys i have a space issue w/ my aquarium. It is in my office so i need to keep everything under the tank in it's nice cabinet...so can I combine my sump and create a refuge? All i want to do is put in a grow light and keep some cheato down there...it won't be used for anything else.

The refuge usually have slower flow to allow the DSP to develop and let the critters having a nice and quiet home. But if you just want to have some chaeto to use up some nutrient, it is fine.

i don't know the dimensions of your cabinet, but mines 48" by 12" for a 55 gal and that was enough for me to fit two tens underneath, one for a sump and one for a fuge, the sumps a little small, but it serves the purpose. fits the skimmer and go's about two days without a top off

Ok I'll try that. Thanks - now my other question, might need a new thread, but i'll just put it here for space sake.

How do I link up two sumps? Do I need two overflow boxes, or can I link them between eachother with a PVC or something? I want to make sure I don't overflow or underflow either one. Has anyone done this to gain more water volume?

I used to use siphon between my sump and refuge. After the pipe clogged once and gave me a good flood, I had enough. I now drilled the refuge and raised it a little and have the water overflow into the sump.

ok, here is what im thinking based on above:

Tank Overflow -> Sump
Sump Overflow -> Refuge
Refuge Return Pump -> Tank

will it work?

The more ideal case would have the tank overflow to both sump and refuge and the sump as the last stop:

Tank Overflow -> Sump
Tank Overflow -> Refuge (but with slower flow)
Refuge -> Sump
Sump Return Pump -> Tank

ok, so if I just put a "Y" connector on the overflow from the tank and then a valve to restrict the flow to the refuge, then drill the refuge and port it to the sump...got it! Weekend project here we come!

awesome! thanks...what do you think my flow through the refuge should be? My sump is 600GPH, should I be shooting for 100 or so?

Cheato ???????????

How much Cheato is enough ? we have been cultivating it since Dec. in our fuge and it's doing very very well. We were considering weeding it out to create more room but is this a good idea, or is the process growing better for nit. reductions, thus weed some out. If any one needs some will send it if you pay for shipping.

You need to trim it back once in a while. When you cut it back and get rid of some of it, you get rid of the nutrients that it has been sequestering.

Back