Compact skimmer

Hkp7

Reefing newb
I have a sump which has a built in protien skimmer and I am not so sure it is any good. I have no idea what the brand of this sump is. I had used a coralife superskimmer for a couple months in the past and it seemed to work a lot better. The skimmer built in the sump is small. Enough to fit in the opening of the chamber of the sump set aside for the skimmer which is about 3x3inches. I am curious if I could maybe get a better powerhead with a needle wheel, or if there is a small skimmer I could drop in the same spot which would work better. There is plenty of room for a larger powerhead. I would just hang an additional skimmer off the side of the sump but there is no room in my tank cabinet and the equipment in the sump is in the way. The sump setup takes up most of my tank cabinet space. I guess I could just live with what I got but better is always better. I would appreciate any ideas.

I think mag drive has a pump thats got a needle wheel impeller and air venturi.Weather or not it'll fit,I have no idea.
Is there any way you can post a pic of the sump and skimmer? That would make it easier to figure something out.

Here are some pics of the sump and skimmer.

DSC00903.JPG

DSC00905.JPG

DSC00906.JPG

DSC00908.JPG

well i'm sure the skimmer isn't top of the line amazingness, but unless you've got that 46 bow packed with fish, that doesn't seem bad at all for that size of tank...

if your water is testing fine, i see no reason to change anything...

Back