Compatibility in 29 gallon

Cr1ck37

Reefing newb
Clownfish, bluefin damsel, blackmouth bicolor chromis...clownfish has been in the tank for about a week. If I add the other two fishes would they be ok together, each are single fishes.

Well, damsels can be super evil. If you are set on getting one (i personally wouldnt) i would add him last to try and curb his desire to bully everything.

Also you need to wait 2-3 weeks between additions so the bacteria load can catch up to the new waste load.

The clown and the damsel will most definitely fight. They're both in the damsel family and are territorial fish. Might want to skip the damsel and opt for a different, less aggressive fish.

You should also wait three weeks between additions. So wait a couple more weeks before you add the chromis, and then three more weeks before you add anything else.

Ya I was planning on waiting, just browsing around at what looks good in a 29g tank. Any suggestions on what would be good with my current single clownfish, diamond goby and some inverts?

No worries, always a good reminder :D

I've been thinking about a Firefish (I think the bicolor firefish) but read that they can jump out of the tank and I have an open top. Any experiences on that?

Six Line seems like a good active fish to have.

I actually don't know. I imagine salt creep would be an issue eventually with the metal.
Plus I think (for me personally) it would be hard to find one that fit. PLUS the plastic would be easier to cut through for all the tubes and wires and stuff going in and coming out of the tank.

Also, if you already have two fish in there, you can only add one more fish. With marine tanks you are limited to one fish per 10 gallons.

I am sorry but I disagree with this statement. Not all fish swim around or are territorial. I dont agree with over stocking but I have a blenny, 2 kinds of goby and a firefish along with my other creatures and it is not overstocked.

I agree Amber you tank is not overstocked, but look at your tank inhabitants, not a single one is territorial like you have mentioned, unlike the clownfish he currently has which is a territorial, established and an active fish.

Also i think the choice to go over the stock limit should be made when you have very good understand of your reef, and have researched your purchases, just like you have. I think new comers getting their first fish or ones haven't researched the hobby should stick with the stocking rules, which is why i tell everyone the 1 fish per 10 gal rule.

I agree Amber you tank is not overstocked, but look at your tank inhabitants, not a single one is territorial like you have mentioned, unlike the clownfish he currently has which is a territorial, established and an active fish.

Also i think the choice to go over the stock limit should be made when you have very good understand of your reef, and have researched your purchases, just like you have. I think new comers getting their first fish or ones haven't researched the hobby should stick with the stocking rules, which is why i tell everyone the 1 fish per 10 gal rule.

Thanks lil fish. That is a much better statement than just a flat 1 fish per 10 gallons this at least explains to the new comers your reasoning for saying that and helps them to realize they need to research the fish in question to see how many they can get.

I am choosing all fish that get no bigger than 3in or so because I want a variety and I know my tank is on the smaller side.

I guess the point is you have to research and learn and make educated choices on your fishes.
:D

Yes, and if you dont want to take the time to research your fish, then just stick with the easy rules!

But i also do think this is a good rule for 90% of tanks, especially once you get out of the super laid back community fish. So i dont like to put out the idea out there its ok to go over for every tank just because you have researched.

Your tank setup is the exception, not the rule basically.

Back