Complete nOOb, need help LOL

Xanthus

Reefing newb
Doing my research, and ended up here. To my limited experience, this community seems like one of the most well rounded and helpful I have seen. So of course I had to join !!

I have been thinking of getting into this for a few years now. I have just about talked myself into it, and have been looking at a 75g tank. I am interested in having the living rock as well as anemones and fish (perhaps ultimately 6-8 compatible fish).

But here is my problem. I dont know for certain if I am getting accurate info or not as there is so much conflicting "truth" out there. The last sales person I dealt with did a really good job on selling the Aqueon ProFlex Sump Filtration system. Doing a little research it seems like it is a good product, but wanted some feedback from the community. I guess I would rather pay a bit more for good equipment in hopes of "idiot proofing" my first foray into saltwater aquariums.

Hi and welcome...this is a great site and plenty of people will be willing to help you out....i unfortunately do not know much about the system your talking about...a 75 is a good size to start with..Do you want to keep corals as well?The anemone will have to wait till your tank matures,i'd wait at least 8-9 months ,maybe a year...I know thats not what you wanted to hear,but its best for both you and the anemone...the most important rule at the start is to go slow...Good luck

Welcome to the site.

If you are handy, you can actually build your own sump for far less than buying one. All you need is an empty tank that fits under your tank and some acrylic sheets. I built the one under my tank for 30 bucks. It is made out of a 10 gallon tank.

Plan if you want corals or not. This will determine the kind of lighting you need.

Skimmers are a vital piece of equipment also. Do your research as this is very important not to get a cheap one. Avoid the Seaclone. I used one as my first skimmer because the price was right. It never did work right.

Not familiar with that system as i am a noob as well. Looking at the product it looks pretty cool, flexible and interchangable as your needs change.

During my research I have seen sumps made out of everything from plastic buckets to full custom acrylic sumps. I personally am going to make one out of a 10g or 20g tank for my 55g main tank.

You could save some money by doing it this way or spend the money on one, completely up to you.

Welcome!

The Aqueon looks interesting and well thought out, but I would be concerned with the skimmer and size of the skimmer section as that could be a weak point, but without any hands on experience i couldn't tell you. But i understand you wanting to go this route being a newbie. It's one less thing to worry about when setting up a new system. I used to run one of the CPR wet/dry systems and it was fine. Now I run a custom made sump with a refugium that is closer to that one you posted. There may be someone in your area that does this and there are a few online that can ship to you. Or like other suggested, search for how to make your own sump for cheap.

While those are decent filtration systems,there really not designed for reef tanks. You'd be better off to build one that suits your tanks needs.

Sounds like every has you covered. And definitely pay attention to nemo about anemones -- they're best left for a tank that's a year old...if it dies because the tank is not mature enough, it will take down everything in your tank because of the toxins it releases. Scary thought, after all that work you would have put in to it.

Take your time, definitely ask us before you jump in a purchase (we're all guilty of impulse buys though! Hehehehehe). We're here for ya! Welcome to the site!

While those are decent filtration systems,there really not designed for reef tanks. You'd be better off to build one that suits your tanks needs.

^^ I agree with this. You can build your own simple sump that will do a better job than the name-brand one for a fraction of the cost.

I don't understand why you guys consider that sump not suitable for a reef system?It's a berlin sump with a refugium chamber and skimmer section.I do agree with D2mini,the skimmer section looks kind of small.Make sure the skimmer you decide on can fit into that space.

It's not that it's not suitable. It's just that A) it's expensive, and B) it's not customizable to your own needs. You can make the same thing yourself.

I have to agree with Biff.You can build you own sump for less than 50 bucks.So why pay 300 for a manufactured sump? Unless of course you dont have the time to DIY one.

in hopes of "idiot proofing" my first foray into saltwater aquariums.
impossible!

lol, and yeah every1 is correct here. You will spend enough money in this hobby as it is no need to spend excess $ on something not so important that you can do yourself... unless money is no issue and best of best is :)
If you want to splurge do it on something more important to your tank like Lights and/or Skimmer.

Back