Condensate???

Justin33

Reefing newb
Has anyone here ever considered using condensate (from a dehumidifier) as top off water istead of ro/di?
What would be the cons?
Pro is easy, it's free and I'm already making 2 gal a day.

ok well to clear that up for ya,i tryed to use that but when i tested the water it came back with amonia and nitrates,so you will have to test everything to find out how good of water quality there is,and if you smoke or have polution in your house thats going to be a big no no

well you got me there brian,didnt think of the copper,but yea justinif its in your air its in your water too,mold, pollen spores,anything the filter doesnt get,just think justin nitrogen is in the air and when it condenses it takes the nitrogen from the air and it ends up in the water as nitrates

I work at a power plant, and we condense steam through a turbin too generate electricity. Last night at work we popped a hole in one of the lines and it got me thinking about this question. Remember guys, it was very late. Lol. Didn't consider the fact that the boiler is a closed system. I agree with most of your comments now that it has been discussed a little. And I've added more cons. When I'm in my shop, say painting a fish, there is a very fine overspray from the airbrush that would end up in that dehumidifier too. And not just skin particles from me, but I'm sure that thing is ingesting micro particles from the animals I'm working on too. I am not going to bother testing that water, I'll just keep using it for the plants only, and stick with ro/di for my tank. Thanks again.

Back