conflicting informtation on start up

Sorry to hear you're having trouble finding affordable rock. Remember, you don't have to add it all at once. Keep an eye out on Craig's List or local reefing clubs (go to www.reefcentral.com and check out their local club forums for one in your area). People end up breaking down their tanks quite often, and usually will sell rock for very cheap. When you see a good deal, jump on it, and just add the rock to your tank gradually. Do what you can afford; a little at a time.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions from Biff and Daugherty.

I didn't think the rock would be an issue to find. I will keep a look out for good deals and get it when I can.

I was hoping to get live rock and base rock in and established before introducing fish. I know I need to have patience.

I have the water in and the specific gravity where I need it. I am going to let it run for a few days. I am going to introduce some live sand and rock and let that work a while.

How long should the lights be on to promote growth of the live rock and fish health?

I wouldnt run the lights at all untill after the cycle is complete.Then 4 to 6 hours is plenty for just fish and rock.12 hours is more natural(I guess) once your adding corals.

Let me check on something for you.The store I help at has all kinds of dry base rock for $3.50 lbs.Let me do some checking as see what kind of deal I can get.If the shipping cost aint to bad,I may be able to help save you some money.
Give me till next week.

Yote, today we went on a trek to see what we could find. I found some base rock today. we found what looks like a great Marine Store. It is not close but they had base rock and much live rock. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. They only have Salt water fish and invertebrates. No birds, no dogs, not even freshwater fish.

Thanks for the offer but I think I am okay with base rock. I do appreciate the offer. It is great to see how everyone on this site helps.

I wish I would have found this place before I received all the poor info from the other two stores I originally went to. The info I am receiving and they are confirming is what I am reading on this site, other sites and publications. Things are really starting to make sense again.

I dropped a pretty penny on the canister filter that I purchased because of the advice from the original two stores. I could have purchased an Octopus Skimmer as recommended by Biff for less and put more money toward Live Rock.

Well,At least the canisters not completely useless.You can use it for running carbon and polishing the water from time to time.So I wouldnt call it a total waste.
Happy to know you found a good store to.

Thanks Yote. I guess I can use is somewhere like you say even from time to time to polish the water.

I guess i could also use it to create current.

Moving slow and steady.

Back