controllers/monitors?

joeyv

Reefing newb
i am looking at getting a 150g saltwater tank. i was wondering if i need to get any controllers/monitors? if so which ones? can i do it without them? is there any in particular that anyone recommends?

I'd definitely get timers for your lights. That was the first thing I did, I didn't really want to crawl around and unplug stuff. As far as like monitoring the different levels in your tank, I go with the good old fashion way. Spreading everything out on the counter and testing everything individualy and logging it into a book. :frustrat:I also log when I add new animals and when things die. Probably kind of anal but oh well.

yea i was for surely getting a timer, cause i am with you i dont want to mess with all the switches and plugs. i really like the idea of logging everything! i dont think it is to much cause then you have everything on record.

I'm going to assume your not meaning test kits,timers,refractomers,hydrometers but instead controllers/monitors for other stuff like evaporation,PH probes,O2 probes etc.Those are not necessary but makes things convenient though.I will be using a controller/monitor to replenish evaporated water,thats it for me.It may double as a doser also for calcium,trace elements,etc.

I'm like Sara and Reef,I like the idea of something to monitor evaporation and top the tank off when it needs it.But for every thing else,I perfer to just break out the ole test kit.I like to log every thing too.

yeah i like the idea of the test kits and logging. where is a good place and what is a good controller/monitor for top offs?

I like this one....its inexpensive and from what I read on other boards,it works well.It has 2 float valves(one as backup)It does have an annoying beeping sound when it powers a pump.It can easily be disabled if you visit there website.Joey,its only a single controller,if your looking for a multiple controller than look into the Lifemeter(Spectre Pure).They are pricey,too pricey for me.Here's the link......Aquarium Maintenance & Plumbing: Auto Top Off Controller

BTW,you will need also a aqualifter pump or small water pump,airline tubing,resevoir or some kind of container for water.

yeah i dont really know what all i want lol. i just didnt know much about the controllers/monitors that are out there and you guys are a great help thanks for everything. i am just going to take it slow and buy stuff in sections cause its wayyyyy to expensive for me to buy it all at once. i just wanted to know a lit more about these things and if anyone has any other suggestions or thoughts let me know.

true joey...take it slow...keep reading..that way youll find what you really need, establish prioryties...compare prices too...the hobbie is expensive..but is very rewarding too!!...

thanks Rigo, yeah i am going to take it slow and find out everything i can before i do anything but i will keep you guys posted. thanks everyone

I,ve seen where folks have built DIY top off units.You might want to look into that.Might save a little cash for more inportant things like corals.

You would want a auto-top off on your 150 gallon.I lose almost a gallon a day in evaporation on my 75.On my 210,I don't even want to think what I would be losing.......maybe 3 gallons a day.

Come on people, is it really that hard to top off your tanks water.... Maybe if some of us started hitting the gym a little and quit playing V-games and chilling on LR all the time we wouldn't be having this conversation.....lol

haha, yeah i am with yea there but if you can have something do it for you then y not? lol. jeez i didnt know big tanks lose that much water everyday. well if i have a top-off unit then is it best to get a ro/di unit? with the top-off what do i do to feed it water? big barrel of freshwater?

I use milk jugs I keep in the fridge to feed my top off machine. When my tank runs low the machine notices. The machine gets off the couch and proceeds to fridge where it acquires the top off water. It then uses its left hand to take off the cap and its right hand to pour the water in the tank.
BTW I have heard of people that have there top off machine feed by a high pressure RO unit.

Okay,I admit I'm lazy!Sure an auto-top off and RO unit isn't needed but sure as heck make life easier.At about 100 bucks for a auto-top off unit is well worth it,after all I/we spend on our tanks $100 isn't so bad.I'll prolly use one of those storage/rubber tubs from walmart.

HAWK, i like your machine, cheap and effective. yeah i have been looking for top-off units but i dont really know what or where to look lol? i am trying to make up a list of everything i am going to need and organize it so i get what i need first and worry about other things later. if anyone can help let me know. thanks for all the replys

Here's a link to a list of top-off/dosing units-some cheap and some kinda expensive..........Dosing Pumps

Joey,equipment wise(most I'm sure you already know)
Tank and stand(of course,right?)
filtration
Protein skimmer
Heaters
Test kit(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,PH)....add phosphate test also.More test kits to come if you gonna keep corals
Some kind of lighting
Hydrometers or refractometer
Thermometer
RO/DI and TDS meter-only if you want to make your own water and not buy it.

There's the short list....like DUH!...right.Anything else you add can be done on a ''as needed basis'' including the auto-top off we were talking about earlier.

Last edited:
Probably the two most important monitors are a PH monitor (because as we all should know PH test kits are a complete waste of money) and an auto top-off. The AT is really important if you want to use Kalk (otherwise you will have BIG PH swings when you top off). I would suggest the Tunze osmolator it has an optical sensor to monitor water level as well as the back up switch to shut off the unit if the optical sensor fails, and the controller will automatically shut off the pump if it on for more than ten minutes. These are the two most important IMO/IME.

Back