cooling fans

VB68

Reefing newb
I am building ahood for my 100 gal(5' long) tank. It will have a Hamilton Tech cebu Sun 60" MH and T5 fixture- 2 175 MH and 4 80 T5's. I am concerned with the heat any suggestions on cooling fans, pros and cons.

You will need to build some fans into it. I think most people use the little square fans you can get at a computer store? And they are installed so that the air gets pulled out from inside the hood, not blown into it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in!

What I would do is put 2-4 fans on each side ( depending on how wide your tank is). And have the one side blowing outside air into the hood, and the fans on the opposite side would be pulling air out of the hood. That way you have a constant circulation of outside air going through the hood.

+1 BL1
I have mine set up that exact way. Look for fans that are 4" or 5". Most times your LFS will have them, and they will loan you the hole saw to cut the hood.

Pick one that's more quiet and yet can move high volume of air. Go to a computer site like newegg. They have lot to choose from. This is my old setup:

fans120mm.jpg

The 4-fan unit only pull 38.56 CFM. He has "2 175 MH and 4 80 T5's" inside a hood. He'll need much more air flow than that. The 5" fan (120mm) I use can pull 74 CFM each, and they only cost $5-$8. Have a couple of those on each side of the hood would be perfect. One set for pushing and one set for pulling air out.

Last edited:
The 4-fan unit only pull 38.56 CFM. He has "2 175 MH and 4 80 T5's" inside a hood. He'll need much more air flow than that. The 5" fan (120mm) I use can pull 74 CFM each, and they only cost $5-$8. Have a couple of those on each side of the hood would be perfect. One set for pushing and one set for pulling air out.
Got a dumb question-- how do you hook them up (computer fans) so they can be pluged in?

Last edited:
they runs on either 5v or 12v depends on the model. You can get a power supply that can power all of them for $5-$20.

Here is a 12V 6A one. It has more than enough juice to run many fans.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kinamax-AD-LCD12-Monitors-Adapter-Supply/dp/B000VE7GQQ/ref=pd_cp_e_2]Amazon.com: Kinamax AD-LCD12 LCD Monitors 12V 6A 72W AC Adapter Power Supply: Electronics[/ame]

I doubt it, since they are for different things.

I just cut all the wires and twist all the + wires together, and the - wires together.

4x 93 CFM fans: $50
1 Power Supply: $15

Basically, the only thing different from you buying the parts verse what they gave you is just the 1-to-4 power spliting thingy. If you willing to pay over $100 just for that power split...

Last edited:
What I would do is put 2-4 fans on each side ( depending on how wide your tank is). And have the one side blowing outside air into the hood, and the fans on the opposite side would be pulling air out of the hood. That way you have a constant circulation of outside air going through the hood.

This is the way to do it, in and out, i don't have any experience with lights but i do have it with car amps and that's the best way.

Back