Copper question.

EliWhitney314

Phish Head
So if I buy live rock and it has copper in it, is it still possible to get rid of the copper? I know Biff sent me a link for a product that abosorbed copper, but can you get rid of copper in live rock?

You can, but it's expensive and takes a long time. And your results are not guaranteed. You are better off just not buying that rock.

there is no way that I would waste my money on copper laced rock! you will spend more time and money then its worth... Just buy some good rock.

I don't think it is, I just meant worst case scenario. The guy who is selling it used it for a reef tank so I would imagine that he didn't treat with copper, but you never know.

Paranoid!!!!

Hehe, but yeah. Just pick up a copper test and that'll be something to go off of.

How late where you guys up in chat?

I run carbon because I've got a lot of toxin-producing corals in my tank, and I feel safer with the carbon. Plus it polishes the water, so you don't get ugly discoloration (yellow water...eeewww)

I would only runner carbon for small periods of time. I have heard bad stories and seen results, (nothing solid) but don't want to chance it. It is said that running carbon 24/7 can cause HLLE in your fish.

winy's got a good point, but I still run carbon all the time. I think that it isn't the carbon itself that's causing the problem-- although I do rinse my carbon well before using it, to remove small dust particles. I think the problem is more likely to be not changing the carbon often enough results in debris getting trapped, and that causes nitrates/phosphates/etc to spike, which stresses out the fish, and THEN HLLE protozoan can attack. That's all conjecture on my part, 'cause no one actually knows what causes HLLE at this point. But that's where I lay my money. :)

winy's got a good point, but I still run carbon all the time. I think that it isn't the carbon itself that's causing the problem-- although I do rinse my carbon well before using it, to remove small dust particles. I think the problem is more likely to be not changing the carbon often enough results in debris getting trapped, and that causes nitrates/phosphates/etc to spike, which stresses out the fish, and THEN HLLE protozoan can attack. That's all conjecture on my part, 'cause no one actually knows what causes HLLE at this point. But that's where I lay my money. :)

I agree with you tanked chemist. I think the main problem people have with continued carbon use, is failing to change the carbon on a regular schedule.

Back