Copper removal

shanet1975

Reefing newb
I pulling at straws now :) Well I have copper in my 55 gallon tank. I bought this as a used setup with about 75 lb's of liverock and about 50 lb's of sand. I guess the guy I bought it from must have treated his fish in this tank. I just spoke to another fish enthusiest on the phone who suggested that I rinse the rock and sift the sand with freshwater for 2 or 3 weeks. Would this remove the copper? The test read .3. I'm hoping there is something I can do....I know this would entail going through a new cycle again once I set it back up....
I know you guys have told me there is nothing I can do, but I couldn't live with that.....
Thanks for your time....

From what I've heard and read,the rock will hold the copper from now on and leach it back into your tank over time.Same with the sand.
I dont know that to be fact,its just what I've heard since I started the hobby.
But any thing is worth a shot,and your at the point to where you really have nothing to lose.
Just be sure to let the rest of us know if it works or not.

Read these:

CuRemovalFAQs

CuRemovalFAQ2

Even if your water starts testing 0 for copper, that indicates that it has been absorbed by the rock and the sand, so it's no longer in the water. Over time, it will be released from the rocks and sand back into the water, killing the inverts in your tank.

Back