Coral Banded Shrimp Info ?

heatherc369

Reefing newb
I have a 125 Gallon tank, I plan on only putting community fish in it, currently the only inhabitants are 3 blue and yellow damsel fish, 2 turbo snails and a couple hermits that snuck in on the live rock. There are 2 things I have always wanted-one is a Mandarinfish, and the other is a coral banded shrimp. I havebeen reading mixed things about the shrimp-some say they do ok with other shrimp ( not same species though) and some say they do not. I this big of a tank do any of you think it would be a problem to add other shrimp later? OR would getting this shrimp ensure that he would be the only shrimp? Having such a large tank I would like to be able to have a few diff species of shrimp and crabs, and dont wana be married to just one :):question:

The coral banded shrimp will not only go after other shrimp, but can and will go after fish too. Especially slow, perching fish like mandarins. I would pass on the coral banded because they are known to be very aggressive towards other animals.

Coral bandeds seems too risky for my liking.

My skunk cleaner was my fave :) once he got used to me he would clean my nails. Fire shrimp fill a cleaning need too, but im not sure how well they get along together.

I had peps and skunks, but the skunk would harass the peps if they had food and he didnt.

I have had two different coral banded shrimp over the last two years. Both were added after cleaner shrimp and I have not had issues, but I also have quite a bit of rock, and they all kind of have their own territories

I have not seen either of mine go after fish, but I also have a tank full of active swimmers, with the exception of the cardinal, which acts more like a robot than a fish

I have had two different coral banded shrimp over the last two years. Both were added after cleaner shrimp and I have not had issues, but I also have quite a bit of rock, and they all kind of have their own territories

I have not seen either of mine go after fish, but I also have a tank full of active swimmers, with the exception of the cardinal, which acts more like a robot than a fish

I have about 100 lbs of rock in my 125 gallon tank-Im debating weather it would be worth the risk? I love the looks of the lil guys.....but I dont wana see anyone get hurt

I have a bit of experience with a CBS. Had one for about the first 5 months of my tank, and I eventually just couldn't take the way he messed with the corals, nipped at the fish, and pretty much tried to pick a fight with everything in the tank. I ended up taking him back to my LFS after he managed to kill one of my fish and i got a cleaner shrimp.

Back