coral eater?

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
Is there some sort of hitch hiker that eats mushrooms and duncans? They're disappearing from my mom's tank, and I have no idea what to look for. Any ideas welcome.

thanks yote

what do you do if you suspect such worms? I haven't seen evidence of any worms in her tank, but I also don't stare at it much. I'll be going there for a 4 day weekend next week so if there's any supplies for capturing it, or just plain identifying the predator, it would be good to know now...

No, the mushrooms are ones she purchased up there. The duncans were mine, but near the mushrooms that started disappearing in her tank weeks ago.

Does she have adequate light? I've seen Green Star Polyps flourish under MH and then when transferred to under T5s shrivel and die off.

Does she have adequate light? I've seen Green Star Polyps flourish under MH and then when transferred to under T5s shrivel and die off.

She does. She's got a 150W MH, which ends up being about 5 watts/gallon. the duncans in my tank were under appx 7W/G but they were much farther from the light in deeper water. I guesstimate the lighting conditions are appx the same. The duncans didn't just shrivel up-- the got gooey too, then disappeared.

The mushrooms could just be detaching in an attempt to find a better location. Duncans might just be shrinking up as they die.

The shrooms aren't detaching-- they keep expelling their guts and staying that way for prolonged periods, then you can watch the outsides slowly erode away. A few did detach and float off elsewhere, but then those also showed the same behavior. Moving the rock around the tank also didn't change the outcome. She's got several SPS and a brain that have been doing fine in the same tank, and her water params check out, so I've eliminated that source of problems. I guess I need to get a red flashlight and sit there all night observing her tank to see if I can find any of those worms.... but I don't know how to catch the thing even if I do find them.

thanks yote

what do you do if you suspect such worms? I haven't seen evidence of any worms in her tank, but I also don't stare at it much. I'll be going there for a 4 day weekend next week so if there's any supplies for capturing it, or just plain identifying the predator, it would be good to know now...

Really no to know unless you actually see it.As for catching one,IF thats what it is,I have no idea on that one.I guess you'd have to scout it out and find out which rock it calls home,then remove that rock.

well, she found both a nudi and a Eunice worm (possibly) both in the same area, nearby all the missing mushrooms. She's catching the nudi now, but the worm may remain elusive until I get there to rip the tank apart. shucks.

thanks for the help everyone.

Back