coral growth

Stoneys grow slowly. Are you sure your water quality and lights are good enough for SPS coral? They are more difficult to keep than softies and LPS.

Stoneys grow slowly. Are you sure your water quality and lights are good enough for SPS coral? They are more difficult to keep than softies and LPS.

+1 that's why I asked which or what ones.

I feed my corals a mixture of Phyto-Feast, Oyster Feast, and Arcti-pods. They are made by Reef Nutrition and most LFS carry them. They are normally kept close to the counter in a little refridgerator. You can also spot feed the LPS some mysis with a turkey baster.

water is right on target and lights just replaced them about 3 weeks ago, my stonys will look good for a while and then all of a sudden will start to die off. My bubble coral was about 3" round and started to die off now only has about 1" on the skeleton?? so I thought maybe I better start to supplement them

I doubt it's a missing supplement that is hurting the corals. Not feeding them won't cause them to die, as they are photosynthetic.

I know you said you replaced your bulbs, but what kind of lights do you have? How many bulbs?

And when you say your parameters are spot on, what does that mean? What are your readings for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, temperature and salinity?

Bubble corals are usually bullet proof and they don't need to be fed. So it's not a lack of feeding/supplementation that is killing it.

Bulbs 2 250wt MH, 4 54wt T5's

Ph 8.6
nitrate's =0
Nitrites=0
Ammonia=0
alkalinity=125.3
cal 480
SQ 0.023
Temp 78.4
I doubt it's a missing supplement that is hurting the corals. Not feeding them won't cause them to die, as they are photosynthetic.

I know you said you replaced your bulbs, but what kind of lights do you have? How many bulbs?

And when you say your parameters are spot on, what does that mean? What are your readings for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, temperature and salinity?

Bubble corals are usually bullet proof and they don't need to be fed. So it's not a lack of feeding/supplementation that is killing it.

Bulbs 2 250wt MH, 4 54wt T5's

Ph 8.6
nitrate's =0
Nitrites=0
Ammonia=0
alkalinity=125.3
cal 480
SQ 0.023
Temp 78.4

I'm new to the saltwater hobby, but am I reading this correctly? Your alkalinity is 125? So far all of the corals I have seen the sites recommend 8-12 for dKH.

Back