Coral ID please!

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
What is this? Kid at LFS said it's some type of encrusting LPS????

Picture014-4.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

Picture018-4.jpg

So far it hasn't put out any feeding tentacles, but it looks like it does have some soft tissue that comes out all over. It's a hard encrusting skeleton for the most part.

Last edited:
Well, whatever it is I think it's pretty cool. I only paid $10 for it and its about 3"x4". Wonder if it will color up better in a few weeks. I'll keep updates coming.

+1 Yote. looks like Meralina to me too. Looks similar to the one I killed when i first got my tank, I thought I was buying a cap (what a dumbass) within a week it was dead. Meralina are considered expert only, I have no idea why, but since I killed one and I wasn't an expert I'd have to agree.

+1 Yote. looks like Meralina to me too. Looks similar to the one I killed when i first got my tank, I thought I was buying a cap (what a dumbass) within a week it was dead. Meralina are considered expert only, I have no idea why, but since I killed one and I wasn't an expert I'd have to agree.

Hopefully it wont die on me. We'll see what happens.

Heres some of whats in my book "Aquarium Corals" about Merulina.

Natural location
Most often found in lagoons,but may also occur throughout the reef.

Colors
Colors can be vibrant or subtle shades of green,pink,lavender,violet,blue,brown,and cream.Several of these colors may be evident in one colony.

Captive Care
Merulina swell outward in captivity,much like Pectinia.The tissue is overlaying and obviously present,but rarly hides the intricate skeleton below.These corals are not at all easy to keep,despite being predominantly lagoon based corals.
They tend to decalcify and fail to thrive in many cases.Recession with unknown cause is common,as is bleaching.They lose tissue quickly by necrosis where contact with other corals and sedimentation occurs.They seem to prefer strong light and moderate flow.They are heavy mucus producers.

Maybe that'll help some.

I'm guessing I should have stayed away from this one. I thought it was some sort of SPS. It was only $10 so if it dies then so be it. Thanks for all the help!

Back