Coral ID

Sunshine29

Reefing newb
Hey everyone :). A guy on kijiji just closed down his tank and he gave me a few frags for free, but I can't seem to figure out what they are. Can you guys help ID them for me? That would be amazing :bounce:!

IMG_6466.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

IMG_6469.jpg

IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6471.jpg

Last edited:
Click "Go Advanced" beneath the reply box, then click on the paperclip icon to upload pictures directly from your computer. :)

Wow Sunshine must be hot!...Nobody has ever given me $100 worth of free corals before.:D

I agree with the first 3 pics. Biff is right.

But depending on how long they've been in your tank

#4. May be Millipora or a Stag --If it starts to grow long hairs out of it when the lights come on and it gets acclimated to the tank, it's a milli. If it stays "bumpy" and branchy like tree limbs it's a stag.

#5. May be a digitate coral..That's what I'm leaning toward.. if it has very tiny bumps on it...If it get's kind of fat and "fuzzy" under the lights then it's a pocillipora. But I believe that's a digitate coral.

As far as number 4 and 5 go...They like alot and very turbulent flow, and high lighting...acclimate them at the bottom of the tank, and begin to move them toward the top of the tank. They're SPS, so the water needs to be perfect, however these sps corals are a little more tolerant of nutrient rich water, so you should have pretty good success. On the flip side, SPS can be more difficult to care for than "softies" so if you wake up one morning and they're bleached white...Don't get too upset.

If they are acropora, acros tend to be very intolerant of any type of change in water conditions.

Here's my disclaimer: I have old eyeballs, and your picture taking skills leave a little something to be desired.:D

Great pick ups...

Last edited:
SPS are typically much more expensive than softies. A very small frag of SPS can easily be $50-$80 or more...depending of course on where you live and what type of coral.

SPS need intense lighting and alot of flow. Top of the tank, high flow areas. and they like it turbulent too. As far as dosing, you don't necessarily have to dose, but you can dose phytomax or zooplankton. I've also read very good things about "Coral Frenzy"...

But something to consider...#1. when you dose these things you want to target feed them. #2. dosing Phyto and Zooplankton can also muck up your tank. so if you decide to do it, I would start with a much smaller dose than the recommended and gradually work your way up. It might take a little longer, but everything in your tank will thank you for it.

Good luck with them...Great additions.

Back