Coral Life Super Skimmer Q.

AundriaM

Reefing newb
I am relatively new to the hobby (having inherited a set up tank) and have a Coral Life Super Skimmer on my 55 gallon tank. This has run perfectly for 6 months, and has been freaking out for the last 2 weeks. It has overflowed 4 times, each time with no warning and clear water. It just happened again and I have almost no water going to it right now. Any ideas or suggestions? I have already taken it apart and cleaned each piece individually.

Thanks in advance!

Have you added any chemicals or additives to the tank like medication, aloe, slime coat, stress coat, or any thing to treat tap water like dechlorinator or tap water conditioner?

I top off my tank weekly using water treated with water conditioner/dechlorinator - it does have something in it for slime coat as well. I had heard that additives could drive a skimmer crazy, but I haven't had any problems so far and haven't changed anything I've been using. Do you think this might be it? If so, has anyone had success with any type of water conditiner/skimmer combo? And does this mean that I shouldn't scrap my skimmer and look for a new one quite yet?

Ohhh wait....I have started to use something called Garlic Guard on my fish food - its a liquid and I let it soak into the food before I put it in the tank. I've been careful not to let any excess liquid into my tank - this may be it though. Does anyone else use this?

Water conditioner will screw up any skimmer. You should switch to RODI water. It's much better for your tank than treated tap water, which still can contain loads of bad stuff. You can get RODI water at your LFS, grocery store or Walmart.

It could be the Garlic Guard. Try skipping it for a couple weeks and see if it makes a difference. Skimmers are very touchy.

yeah i agree With biff

and those Super skimmers are Great skimmers ! just a lil on the tough side to re set up,

#1 I assume this is ( HOB ) hang on back set up,
the pump inlet has to be no less than 4 in. under water

If it is a little lower, you can adjust it up or down by sliding the Grey ring around the main canister up or down.

#2 Breaking it in after Cleaning
When the pump is stoped for cleaning there is a break in period that must be done or the skimmer will with out a doubt flood 100 % of the time.

set the valve just above the pump to 1/2 open or less (trying to keep the bubbles at the base of the collection cup screw on ring or a lil higher) then slowly adjust it more open as the day progresses, if the pump was fully disassembled the break in can take up to 1day and 1/2 ,
( I only have cleaned my Pump once! )

these tips should help you on your way!
Please post pics of the tank We love pics,

USE RO water you will love how clear it makes the tank!

Last edited:
i think lionfish has some good advice. Its hands down the most touchy skimmer of all three that i own. When it works it works good, when it sucks, it really sucks. I had a 2 gallon flood last week, but it was my fault

LOL, I would buy the super touchy skimmer :roll: Sorry to hear that you had a flood too s13redline!

It is a HOB setup for now - when I am ready to tackle a sump this will be the first place I come.

I appreciate all the help and advice - this is more information than I got with the skimmer! And the repeated flooding is probably due to to me unplugging it each time, thus causing that lovely break in period. Too (now that I'm thinking out loud here) the first flood was after I added water so it was probably due to the water conditioner. I am off to buy RODI water today - live and learn, right?

You guys are awesome - thanks again!

Yeah RODI water is your best bet. Not only will it not mess up your skimmer, but you won't get the algae problems you would by using other types of water.

Dont just use us for advice Stick around ! ;p J/k

Yeah when time to clean the cup you dont have to unplug it. just turn the valve off the bubbles should drop down belos the neck and you can clean away.

also, check the air hole at the bottom of the pump. mine was stopped up 2/3 of the way with salt creep. and it acted crazy. you should be able to fit a toothpick into the hole.

Back