Coral qt lighting

Gizmo

Reefing newb
I plan on setting up a 10 gal coral quarantine tank. It will be used for soft, & lps corals. Would this light be enough? I think it probably would but want your opinions before I order it.
Home » Saltwater Aquarium Supplies » Lighting » Light Fixtures » T5 Fluorescent » < 20 Inch Fixtures » 18 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 2x18 watt T5 HO 10K/460nm
18-inch-Current-USA-Nova-Extreme-2x18-watt-T5-HO-10K-460nm-99.jpg
18-inch-Current-USA-Nova-Extreme-2x18-watt-T5-HO-10K-460nm-99.jpg

18-inch-Current-USA-Nova-Extreme-2x18-watt-T5-HO-10K-460nm-97.jpg

18-inch-Current-USA-Nova-Extreme-2x18-watt-T5-HO-10K-460nm-98.jpg

18 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 2x18 watt T5 HO 10K/460nm

dailydeal_vi.jpg

Deal of the Day! Time Left: 0:00:00

Product_Review_4.gif
4 69
Read 69 reviews

Write A Review

Temporarily Out of Stock: ETA 1-2 weeks

Item #:
CU01136

Size:
Please select... 18 Inch 24 Inch 30 Inch 36 Inch 48 Inch
Quantity:

MSRP: $77.99
Was: $68.99
You Save: $22.80 (29%)

You could always just use a coral dip. The idea of quarantining everything for 9 weeks seems a little excessive to me. But hey, to each their own I suppose.

I know but it's the water it comes in from the lfs I worry about. It only takes a drop. As far as I know copper is the only thing that is effective. Therefore I didn't think the coral dip will kill it because of course coral dip doesn't have copper medication. But now i'm curious if you dip a coral before putting it in the tank is there no chance of introducing ich? I don't know much about it because i've never even done it i've always acclimated them then put them straight in the tank.

corals wont carry ich into the tank ich is exclusive to fish.
My corals anytime I buy them dont get acclimated either ( just float for a couple mins to raise bag temp).. Quick dip into coral x or whatever I have a quick insepection for critters then right into the tank. I have found that corals seem to do worse after acclimating then just going right in..

I know but it's the water it comes in from the lfs I worry about. It only takes a drop. As far as I know copper is the only thing that is effective. Therefore I didn't think the coral dip will kill it because of course coral dip doesn't have copper medication. But now i'm curious if you dip a coral before putting it in the tank is there no chance of introducing ich? I don't know much about it because i've never even done it i've always acclimated them then put them straight in the tank.

It's conceivable since the free-floating life stage of ich is in water. However, I have never actually heard of anyone getting ich in their tank that way, nor do I know of anyone that quarantines inverts, rocks, etc for the purpose of preventing ich in their tank. Ich can also conceivably be introduced in frozen food. But I don't know anyone that somehow "treats" their food because of that. To me, quarantining and treating fish is a good practice. Going beyond that is overkill for something that has such a miniscule chance of occurence. I mean, I know of no actual cases where someone has said water from their bag of snails or coral or macroalgae is where they got ich from. It's technically possible - but does it actually happen? I don't know... If it does, not often enough to warrant that type of QT plan.

Remember, if you do that, you will have to have separate quarantine tanks for inverts/rocks/sand/corals/macroalgae and fish. You can't quarantine inverts in the same tank that you have copper treated your fish.

It may not prevent ich, but it can prevent other pests from coming in on stuff. Coral dipping is a must, but even that can miss some pests. And since you can't dip inverts, they can carry a risk as well. Quarantine may be overkill, but it isn't a horrible idea. I think I got the tiny flatworms from adding some snails. Also got vermitid snails from an astraea snail that had one attached to the shell.

I know I got flatworms once from adding a cup of sand from someone else's tank. Obviously they weren't visible in the sand when I added it. Vermetid snails aren't usually considered pests. They typically come on live rock.

Corals need to be dipped regardless of whether they are quarantined or not. Quarantining corals will not eliminate the pests that typically hitch hike in on corals (nudis, predatory snails, flatworms, etc).

The Vermetid Snail mucous just irritates some of my corals. I have been trying to superglue them all shut but they still seem to reproduce, or make a new tube.
I agree, all coral should be dipped, even if you trust the tank they came from.

Back