coral question

Ridrom

Reefing newb
I currently have the Coralife Aqualight( 2-65 watt true actinic 2-65 watt 10,00K compact fluorescent).Since I am new to this hobby i was just going to start off with leathers like toadstools, yellow fiji leather, kenya tree(yes that weed), I also like ricordeas an the polyp corals. Would my lighting be good enough for these?

I'm not a huge fan of PC lights, but most leathers and palys/zoanthids will do fine...... ricordia should be ok, but for some reason, I've never been able to keep ricordia alive.....

+1 Acer
I think you'd be alright with those corals under the lights you already have.
But if you'll upgrade to T-5s when you get a chance,you'll be pretty much unlimited on what you could keep.

I eventually will upgrade but for now i need all my extra money for a decent protien skimmer. Thanks for the replies acer and yote :bowdown:

+1 Acer
I think you'd be alright with those corals under the lights you already have.
But if you'll upgrade to T-5s when you get a chance,you'll be pretty much unlimited on what you could keep.

Hey Yote, can you keep anemones under T-5's? What cant you have under T-5's?

You should be alright with what you want to keep, given the lighting you already have. That fiji leather, however, is going to do better with higher light, so just make sure that particular coral is placed higher up in the tank.

A lot of people are fans of T5, due to their relatively low heat, efficiency, and water penetration. Definitely look into a nice T5 setup, but make sure whatever you get has individual reflectors, as that will minimize wasted light. IceCap makes the 660 ballast, which is the best IMO.

This may be a stupid question but would it be possible to add a metal halide fixture over the empty space above my tank and be set?

Hey Yote, can you keep anemones under T-5's? What cant you have under T-5's?

Yep.I kept an anemone and SPS corals under T-5s for nearly a year.Then the anemone decided to walk across the tank one night and wiped out close to $700.00 worth of SPS colonies.
I had the Nova Extreme 8 bulb fixture over my old 75.

This may be a stupid question but would it be possible to add a metal halide fixture over the empty space above my tank and be set?

well you're going to need 2 MH pendants to hang over your tank, as single MH covers roughly a 2x2 area. You'll also need about about a foot of space above the tank, depending totally on the type of reflector you have, and how well vented the area is.

Sold it for 20 bucks just to get it out of my tank.
I'll never have another anemone in my reef tank.I love em,love to keep em.But IMO their not for a reef tank.

well you're going to need 2 MH pendants to hang over your tank, as single MH covers roughly a 2x2 area. You'll also need about about a foot of space above the tank, depending totally on the type of reflector you have, and how well vented the area is.

My tank is right under my ac vent no canopy currently.I'm thinking of bulding a canopy with fans and vents in the back for heat to escape. Would this be too much lighing with my PCs? I plan on having two masses of LR & coral on the left and right side of my tank with swimming room in between would like to keep mushrooms on one side and some leathers and eventually lps and/or sps on the other. Would this plan work or should i just invest in the HO T5s and be done with it?

Last edited:
Back