Coral Questions

shotspot

Reefer Madness
Hi everyone, I have 55 g tank and don't want to go spend alot of money on lighting. Right now the lighting I have is 2 18" 15 watt Coralife 10,000 K fluorescent bulbs. The question is can you tell me some good beginers corals I can keep with this kind of lighting? Or is there any other 18" bulbs anyone can recommend without me having to change my whole lighting system....Thanks

hmmm doesn't sound like you can really keep anything will that kind of lighting, it's not even a watt per gallon. You can't switch out stronger bulbs either, I would look into buying some lights that fit your tank.

With those lights.You'll have to stay with non-photosynthic corals.Which means they would be extremely high maintance.
Look at the Nove T-5 fixtures.Their not that expensive as far as lighting goes and they do a great job.

Sorry,none.

I don't recommend non-photosynthetic corals.They need heavy feeding which compromise water quality.Many,even with heavy feeding still dwindle away.

If you're tryong to save money go with the t5, they can grow just about anything. Make sure you get them with the individual reflectors, that is the key with t5.

I agree, there aren't any corals out there that you can keep with less than 1 watt per gallon of lighting. At a bare minimum, the corals that require the least light still need around 3 watts per gallon.

Back