Coral Recommendations (SPS?)

ChPolack

Reefing newb
I am now at the point where my tank seems to be doing very well, with few issues. I have about 7 fish and several corals, along with invertebrates in a 55g tank. The fish are currently happy so I do not wish to add any more. But, does anyone have recommendations for colorful but not too expensive and fragile corals? Here is my current list, all of which are fairly small corals that are just beginning to spread:

- Ricordea mushroom
- Kenya tree
- Few different types of zoas
- Frog Spawn
- Acan
- Candy Cane
- GSP
- Red Mushroom

Like I said, there are only small amounts of each of these corals, as the tank is only about 6 months old. I believe I do not yet have any SPS coral, and that I something I am primarily wanting to add. Any suggestions for corals I should add to my tank? I am also dosing Reef Code A B, Iodion, and Replenish, although I might begin dosing Kalk in the near future. Are there any additional supplements I will need to add to keep SPS coral? Also, I have two double T5 fixtures, one of which contains two 54w daylight bulbs, and then other with a 54w pink bulb and 54w actinic bulb.

Thanks

I'm trying my hand at SPS for the first time too. I got a montipora digitata, montipora capricornis, ORA green birdsnest, tyree ponape birdsnest, and a pavona. So far the pavona is my favorite. It seems to be closer to LPS in its requirements and is really pretty. From what i've heard, the only ones to stay away from (until a tank is mature and a reefer has some experience) are acros. Good luck!

I would stop dosing immediately. Only dose for what you test for and can show a proven need of. Over doses are easy to do and are often deadly.

For 90% of the tanks out there, just regular water changes are enough to keep those level in check.

+1 lil fish. Also before you DUMP a lot of money on sps maybe you should try a 10-20 dollar frag for a few months to see what happens.

I highly doubt you will need to dose kalk. Really only tanks with a ton of SPS need to. And it can be very risky to dose it -- I killed off everything in my tank because of an accidental kalk overdose once. As Hannah said, regular water changes take care of most of what you need, and if you do need to dose calcium, a liquid calcium supplement is much easier and safer to use than kalk.

As for corals, the easiest SPS to keep are birdsnest and montis. You could try some of those.

+1 to all above!

Only dose what your testing, try cheap SPS frag first b4 you invest too much $$, and yes something like an Orange Monti Cap would be great hardy tester, and personally my Green Millipora seems to be pretty hardy and the best grower in my tank SPS wise.

Back