Coralife 65 Skimmer

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Anyone have one of these? It works well so far but having one problem with it. The little bubble diffuser box keeps filling up and overflowing into the tank. I have shortened up the intake hose which raised up the pump closer to the surface. I have about a 2 1/2 inch gap from the top of the pump to the surface of the water. The little flexible hose that goes inside the bubble diffuser box I also shortened up plus was able to lower the box some further into the water and I have about a two inch gap from the bottom of that hose to the white filter in the bottom.

Is it ok that it's overflowing into the tank? There are some larger bubbles that flow out of it but not a whole lot. My tank isn't cleared up yet from adding more sand so I can say if it has an effect on the clarity just yet.

I have the Coralife 125 and never had it on till the tank cleared up.

I had it off for 5 hours after I added my sand and rock. The only time it has ever overflow is when I top off the water and that is it. It seems to be effected by how much water is in the chamber with the pump. I never have issues now though since I know when to adjust it.

I think the 65 is a bit different and you seem to have it as an HOB unless the tank you mention is a sump. Better the tank than the floor.

I would say wait till the tank clears and I don't know enough to tell you to clean it out in case it sucked up too much sand and stuff.

Mine is an HOB sort of because it in on my sump.

Yeah, it's actually hung on my tank. A sump is later on, possibly this summer. Anyways, I stirred up the sand a bit before this which made the water pretty cloudy and I guess it just clogged the bottom filter in the box up enough to prevent good flow and that's why it was overflowing. I took them out and cleaned them both off (They needed it) and now for the time being, it isn't overflowing but working like it should so we will give it time and see. I got a feeling I'll have to clean that thing out once a week or more.

How much room does the 65 need for access into the tank? I have a bowfront 36 with a glass versa-top and not a ton of room on the back?

You're going to want at least 4 1/2 inches between your tank and the wall as the skimmer is a bit over 4 inches wide. I actually have mine on the side of the tank right now since my tank was full when I got the skimmer and I didn't have nowhere else to put it. I'm about to set up my sump now so I'll finally be able to put my canopy back on top since I'll be moving the skimmer to the sump.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean. My canopy is different than yours. Mine sets about five or six inches above my tank with an open back and I still cannot have my skimmer on the back of my tank since the skimmer itself sits about 9 1/2 inches above the rim of the tank. So basically if I have the skimmer on the tank, can't have canopy over tank.

Back