coralife skimmer

bri74

Reefing newb
how the hell does one adjust this brand of skimmer? I cant get any bubbles in it at all unless I blow into the air intake tube. Also I dont know how high to have the water in the skimmer? Into the neck of the collection cup or below?

As far as your air intake tube, it sounds a little strange. I would make sure its all hooked up correctly with the tube place right on the pump.

For the water level, I was told that when your first getting it adjusted it should bubble right at the bottom of the collection cup neck and as debris builds the foam will rise.

the water return into the tank I forgot to mention I am using it as a HOB right now was fullll of air (microbubbles and large air bubbles) anyways I think I got it I moved the pump up closer to the surface of the water its about 2 inches below the surface it was about 4 now it is working much better but still alot of microbubbles Im gonna let it run overnight and see if it gets better

there should be a little gray box with a sponge and a hole cut into the sponge, you put the return tube into that sponge box and that takes care of the micro bubbles

The bubble diffuser box for this skimmer is too small IMO and has a tenancy to put back pressure on the pump when it begins to clog.

1 inch pvc should slip into the outlet of this skimmer. From here you can fabricate and kind of bubble trap you want. Should be able to fabricate a drip tray of sort and use krylon spray paint for plastic to match your tanks back ground. Use poly filter in the bottom of this and it will keep the bubbles from entering your tank and filter the water coming out of the skimmer.

Most important with this skimmer IMO is keep pump as close to waters surface as possible. Support skimmer from bottom if necessary and make sure pump is getting no back pressure.

I run a CCS65 on my tank and it took almost a week or so for the microbubbles to disappear. I also had to come up with a wat to raise the pump up and did with a small piece of 1 inch pcv pipe which also is the air silencer holder. I was also getting tons of blurps and back pressure from the output into the bubble defuser. so I tilted the out put comming out on an angle so that the water flows out above the water into the defuser. WORKS great now !!! But took some messing with. I will post a pic to show you .

skimmer1.JPG

skimmer2.JPG

skimmer3.JPG

Last edited:
I hate HOB skimmers even more than under tank sump skimmers. Little skimmers are just inherently problems. Give me big skimmers!!!!!! If I buy another pump powered skimmer it will have to just be viewed as a techie piece of art or something as I want something powered by a Sequence Dart, such as someting like an Orca needle wheel, only I want one about six foot tall by 18 inches diameter. Say about a six inch throat, with auto wash down.

i have always found my coral life super skimmer super touchy i open the first valve all the way(near the water intake) and then ajust it with the other valve

i used the pvc method and put a gate valve on the skimmer and mine pulled some nasty stuff. The most important thing is to keep the pump close to the surface and keep the bubble trap clean.

I did the pvc thing this morning and it worked pretty good but I still have some customizing to do to make it a little better. But am getting skimmate now but still got some micro bubbles but no where near as bad

I have yet to see a super skimmer that didnt throw micro bubbles.My CSS65 is still throwing them and its over a year old.But that dont matter in the sump.

Mine Did For The First Couple Of Weeks, But Now There Is None. If I Do Any Maintenance Like Scrubbing The Glass I Turn The Skimmer Off OR The Micros Will Come Back For About 2 Hours

Last edited:
yea i find to, when i turn mine off for awhile and then turn it back on there micro bubbles for like 45 mins. i wonder why that is?

Back