Coraline Algae Dying?

KillerChimps3600

Reefing newb
So its been one week since i started up my tank and i have noticed over the last few days that some of the coraline that came on my curred LR is starting to turn white, what would be causing this?

Was the rock exposed to air at all? Even if it was exposed to air for only a few minutes, the coralline will turn white and die. This is not a big deal, as it will come back.

During a water change I use my turkey baster to squirt water on the exposed rock every minute or so and it has kept it from dying. I've also seen coralline stop growing if alk (carbonates) and calcium are low.

Your coralline will come back and I would not bother with any additives.

Wait a second! Why would your rock be exposed during a water change?

Is it the size of the tank because I have an 80 gallon and 20% is only 20 gallons and I can just move the top few rocks to the bottom at that time.

Also won't the new salt water you add back in cause any issues?

Some people have rock right up to the top of their tank... you drain some water out for the water change and something is bound to be left sticking out of the water.

The new salt water won't cause any issues.

Wait a second! Why would your rock be exposed during a water change?

Is it the size of the tank because I have an 80 gallon and 20% is only 20 gallons and I can just move the top few rocks to the bottom at that time.

Also won't the new salt water you add back in cause any issues?

I can't move any of the rocks in my tank. They have corals on them. Plus, you generally don't want to be moving rocks around once they are in place. It can release detritus into the water column.

It doesn't hurt the rocks to be exposed to air for a short period of time, like during a water change. It doesn't even hurt the corals.

Ok put the tube that is supplying the new water into the bottom of the tank and drain the water from your sump and shut off your powerheads this way you don't drain the new water.. HEEHEE just kidding don't do that.

I am going to mark my change line and not put rocks that high. Nah that would be stoooopid although.....

Ok well I will just figure it out when the time comes and I am sure it will be okay.

Last edited:
Back