Coraline algea lsoing color

Doyle73

Reefing newb
I just upgraded to a 75 gal take last week and now I am noticing that my most colorful Coraline algae is either losing is color or dieing. Any body know why is doing this did i just bleach. All my levels are normal.

What is your calcium level?
Also, maybe your lighting is not penetrating through the deeper tank as strong.
I notice that in my "shaded" areas, the coraline tends to bleach out.

Calcium is the key though.

If the coralline was exposed to air, it'll usually bleach. Also, if you are using different lights than it was used to, it will bleach. No worries though, it'll come back.

If the coraline is being exposed to the air at all, a bleach is possible. Are you having this problem with only the coraline above the water line at time of water change or the whole tank. make sure your calcium, magnesium, and iodine are satisfactory.

I may have left it out of the water while i was changing all my rocks and water and sand into my 75 gal. I have been monitoring it and it seems to have stopped losing color. It is a very dull pink and the parts around it are totally white, giving me the idea that I did bleach it. My levels are still good I went to the lfs and had them test them to be sure. As for all my other rock it seems to be fine. Only about 3 of four rocks were doing this. I just wanted to make sure I was not starting another cycle.
Thanks for the help.

What kind of lights are you looking to upgrade to?
I'll have a set of 8 bulb Novas for sale after tax time:D

i find that coraline algea is a pain in the ass !!! LOL It took almost a year to get it, now my fuge that has been only up since this NOV has more growing then the main tank.

Back