coraline

coralhead

Reef Geek Status
looking for info on how to kick start coraline algae growth,have read many articles just need simple gameplan:frustrat:
thanks for any halp

have 40lbs, 3" sand bed, medium intensity lighting(3.5 wattspg) great water paramiters. just no new coraline yet. i guess there is no quick way .

Check out purple up. It might just be the kick start you need. found at any well stocked store or on line mail order. I do not use it myself but others have had some success with it.

i heard dosing a tank slowly with pickiling lime make a big difference my buddy does and his coraline algae looks great actually i think he has to much. He uses it for calcium. Very cheap too compared to other additives just have to add it slow like through dosing system.

my tank has been set up for 2 1/2 months with dead rock so i went to my lfs and bought a small rock covered in coroline for $2.00 and 2 weeks later its starting little spots on almost all of my dead rock so i would suggest buy a piece covered in it and also try purple up i havnt used it my self but have seen and heard nothing but great results from it good luck

I personally have found when coralline isn't growing its because Alkalinity levels are low.

How you get them higher is up to you (Purple up, pickling lime / Kalkwasser, Reef Builder, or plain ole Arm and Hammer Baking Soda). Calcium is also important, but most newer systems will have enough calcium from regualar water changes.

As mentioned above you will also have to seed it, either from the LR you buy, snails shells, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Brandon

I bought a bottle of Purple Up today, yet ANOTHER weapon I've had to employ to try and combat my hair algae outbreak! I think this is weapon number 65,408,932 so far... :frustrat: I'm following the instructions on the bottle and will let you know if it worked for me, if it does, maybe you should try it?

Back