coraline

Whats your parameters look like?
Calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium.Temperature to some degree also plays a role,IMO.
Generally,when nitrates and phosphates are low (should be 0) and the cal,alk,and mag are at the right levels,thencoralline should grow.

If you've got some spots,just take a hard bristled tooth brush and lightly scrub the coralline spots.That'll cause it to release spores that'll attach else where.

Depending on your location, sometimes well water is OK, sometimes it's not very good. Yote covered what you need to monitor if you want coralline growth. Maintain the proper levels of calcium, alkalinity and magnesium and make sure your phosphate level is close to 0 as possible.

I'd just about bet that you got high calcium content in your well water,especialy if you live on the mountain and not in the valley.
Just make sure theres iron in the water.If y'all water is like where my parents live,there'll be some iron.

The importance of alkalinity is underestimated in growing coralline. Make sure you test for Alk and keep it in the high range. Also, it has been said by some the blue actinics promote coralline growth moreso than other light.

Patience is also helpful. It will come in time. You may even wish you didn't have so much of it, someday.

YOU AINT LYIN David.
I'm on the verge of hating coralline.:frustrat: It sucks up a lot of calcium and bicarbonate that my corals could be using:grumble:

YOU AINT LYIN David.
I'm on the verge of hating coralline.:frustrat: It sucks up a lot of calcium and bicarbonate that my corals could be using:grumble:

Saw this from my LFS recently:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] In a reef tank, alkalinity helps maintain the calcium level and is a major building block of coralline algae, which helps prevent nuisance algae from growing.

I have tons of coralline. Now I know why my alk has been chronically low leading to occasional low Ph,
[/FONT]

Saw this from my LFS recently:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] In a reef tank, alkalinity helps maintain the calcium level and is a major building block of coralline algae, which helps prevent nuisance algae from growing.

I have tons of coralline. Now I know why my alk has been chronically low leading to occasional low Ph,
[/FONT]

Coralline does use up a lot of your calcium and stuff,IMO,more so than an SPS colony.
If you think about it,coralline uses the same thing to grow as stony corals do,so it will eat up your calcium and alkalinity quick.
I have to dose (baked) baking soda and turbo calcium daily,3 teaspoons of each, to just to keep my levels stable.And thats in addition to water changes and dripping kalk.
But I've also got 3 kinda of coralline growing.I've got the encrusting,plating,and branching coralline.

Back