Coralline algae

Live Rock

Reefer
Four questions:

1. Can coralline algae grow on sand?
2. Is there anything besides extra calcium that can stimulate coralline algae growth?
3. Why is it called coralline algae?
4. Are there any sea urchins that do not eat coralline algae?

Thanks for any answers. :D

1. Can coralline algae grow on sand?
No.
2. Is there anything besides extra calcium that can stimulate coralline algae growth?
Blue actinic light and tank stability will help.
3. Why is it called coralline algae?
No idea.
4. Are there any sea urchins that do not eat coralline algae?
Doubtful. My urchins devour it.
:Cheers::Cheers:

1. rarely will coralline grow on substrate but it can happen just very uncommon
2. good lighting and flow ,the temperature of your bulbs(color 10k 12k 15k 20k) can have different effects on the color you may get
3.well the same can be said as to why anything is named what its named lol , like why is a goby called a goby and not paco lol but hopefully this helps News / Species Spotlight - Quality Marine)
4. no clue sry

hope this helps a little , more people will prob chime in

As far as the urchin I have a long spiny urchin that hasn't bothered my algea and I have had him about 3 months. So...?

I have seen additives online and in the fish stores to boost coraline growth. does anyone know if they work?

Those additives are basically calcium, dont add anything blindly check and see if its.ok to add, just be patient coralline grows on its own. Nothing good comes from rushing on this hobby

I bought a Calcium buffer and have no need, i change the water bi-weekly and my calcium levels are around 450, I have not used my buffer once yet.

Back