coralline algea????

cravinmohead22

Reefing newb
why will coralline algea start to die off? i looks like the two rocks that i bought with coralline on it is starting to go away. is this possible and if so why? what should i be looking for?

i am guessing that during the nitrogen cycle the high levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are too harsh for the algae to live in and it may cause the coralline to die off.

but my cycle is done now and has been for a month. is seemed to be fine during that time. now it starting to die off. should i worry about it???

maybe it needs stronger lighting to flourish. I have heard it can grow with basic lights, but also heard that better lights make it grow. It's hard to tell which is the right answer. I had die-off during my cycle and see a little more due to my newly introduced cleaners taking care of business on the rock. I was told that by 3 months from introduction that I should see coralline growing nicely.

How is the calcium level? Alkalinity? What about magnesium? Most don't test for this but I thought I would ask.

See Biff I'm getting a hang of this stuff. It feels good to be able to recognize corals when I go into a fish store.

Die-off/bleaching is perfectly normal during and right after a cycle.Its going to take more than a month to come back.Water chemistry and lighting will determine the color and growth of coralline.

pH,akalinity,calcium,magnesium and possibly iodine has a determining factor in coralline growth.I would at least test the first three.

my PH, ALK, and Calcium are all in chech which i test for once a week. however i dont have a test kit for Mag. and Iodine. the strange this is that the past week i have been pumped because i was seeing the coralline spreading. ill be patient and keep hoping for the best. thanks for the help.

If it is just flaking off, eveywhere it lands it will start to grow. You shouldn't have a problem with magnesium or iodine. You would need alot of corals to make those levels fall. Do regular water changes and keep your calcium and alkalinity up, and it will grow everywhere over time. I have so much I was thinking about starting to scrape it out. My whole tank is purple.

Back