corals and t5 light color's PLEASE HELP

ANDREA

Reefing newb
hi to all..PLEASE i need some help in here................
i don't know that much about t5 bulb and i need to replace my bulbs i love to have a different combination (light blue for having more stronger color in my coral's)
my fixture is 8 bulbs t5 54w each and my tank is 72gl
now i am running 4 t5h0 54w white 10kk
and 4 t5h0 54w 460nm actinic
but i need to be sure the new combination is good for my soft coral's and mushrooms..
a person from reefgeek say a good combination can be

4 ati blue plus
2 aquablue special
1 true actinic
1 purple plus

what you think ??? is a good combination for having a blue light look and at the same time having a good propagation and food for my coral ,or the color of the bulb dosn't matter regardin feeding the coral's
i am very confuse about color of bulb and food ....please help

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY AND YOUR TIME....

Andrea

Those guys at Reefgeek are GREAT. I was really happy with their reccomendations. I think that is what I am running execpt for the Purple plus. I think I have the Fiji purple. Im really happy with the look.

Sounds like a pretty sound decision to me... I don't like the purple + but I only have 6 bulbs.

My setup is 3 ati blue plus, 1 aquablue special, 1 UVL Super actinic, and 1 Purple plus.

Andrea, I am running some tanks under that very combination and corals thrive and grow. FWIW, I've done maintenance on tanks that ran 2 Power-Glos and two Marine-Glo T5 bulbs that thrived and looked amazing. I really believe that there is a broad spectrum of useable light for photosynthetic marine life. A big factor is what makes your corals and aquarium look great! Under strong blues, many beautiful animals with blue/purples in their color will wash to a brownish drab color while reds, oranges and greens become downright radioactive. If you have stuff in your collection from both ends of the color spectrum, there is a middle ground you might want to reach. IME, you can't go wrong with ATI bulbs, though.

Andrea, I am running some tanks under that very combination and corals thrive and grow. FWIW, I've done maintenance on tanks that ran 2 Power-Glos and two Marine-Glo T5 bulbs that thrived and looked amazing. I really believe that there is a broad spectrum of useable light for photosynthetic marine life. A big factor is what makes your corals and aquarium look great! Under strong blues, many beautiful animals with blue/purples in their color will wash to a brownish drab color while reds, oranges and greens become downright radioactive. If you have stuff in your collection from both ends of the color spectrum, there is a middle ground you might want to reach. IME, you can't go wrong with ATI bulbs, though.

Yes that is true my blues and purples do look a little brownish. But all of my SPS corals are growing well!

ok now i am a little confuse with all this different bulbs..
now i am running only 4 actinic and 4 white
my fixture light have 3 on/off botton one is for 4 bulb (actinic)the other one is for the other 4 (white) and the 3th one is for the moon light's and are all with timer
now at 11 am the 4 actinic go on at 1 pm the white go on with the 4 actinic and at 10 pm the white go off and a 11.30 the atinic go off and the moon light go on until the next day.
My question is having this bulbs
4 ati blue plus
2 aqua blue special
1 true actinic
1 purple plus
i don't know what bulb is for morning light (same as actinic i am running now)and what is for afternoon light ( same as White light i have now)
do you know which i have to use for replace the actinic and which one for replace the white one??
Sorry for my english but I am italian hope you don't have any problem reding my message
and thankx one more time

Last edited:
I believe that the Ati blue plus are the "Day light" bulbs. I think they run in the blue spectrum but are daylites.

In my set up I have one 6500k GE Sunlite? bulb with 2 ATI blue plus blubs as my daylite bulbs.
I have read several articles about 6500k bulbs. They stated corals grow better. Just what I have read. But they are really yellow.

Back