Corals vs. lighting Q

beancntr

Back into Salt
My new lights came in and they all work!!! YEAH!! We added a tang. My kiddo bought it with her bday money! Way cool! All my params are good and we are chugging right along. I was thinking of adding some corals - possibly a bubble or hammer. I've been looking on the sites and they say "moderate" or "strong" lighting. What should I be looking at keeping with the T5 lights? 400+ watts. I've never seen a test for calcium at any of my lfs's....liveaquaria? Should I test this first before adding a coral? And how long between adding fish should I wait before adding another?

Bubble or Hammer is fine under your lighting but I don't think your tank has matured enough yet,me thinks.
You should be able to get calcium test kits at Petsmart,Petco or really any LFS and online...Dr. Foster and Smith,That Pet Place.Big Al's.
Zooanthids,Leather,Star Polyps and Mushrooms make good first additions but thats just me.

reef is correct I was raising a frogspawn under 110 watts on a 29 so you can achieve it with your lighting though it is best to wait somewhere around 6 months so that your tank is well on its way to being established your odds will be better ensured for both the tank and corals survival. A good rule of thumb purchase a small tank turn it into a quarentine tank with the same temp and salinity as your show tank when you want to purchase a fish put him in quarentine to keep your setup close to if not desease free leave him in the quarentine tank for 2 weeks after that put him in the show tank this giving your show tank time to increase it bacteria for the increased bio-load as well as allows you to observe the livestock for sickness or desease just a thought hope it helps 2 weeks is the suggested wait time.

I agree with the posts above too, your lighting should be fine, T5s are nice because you can pretty much have anything under them, it's all about the placement. So corals that need stronger lighting need to be placed near the top of the tank, and corals that need less light can be placed near the bottom. So even if you don't have a lot of WPG, you can still keep, for example, SPS, if you place them close enough to the top.

If you are going to get LPS corals you will definitely have to get a calcium test. Ordering stuff online is so cheap compared to buying in stores (even when you factor in shipping). I'd recommend taking that path. And, like the others said, I'd recommend waiting a few months before adding any corals. Make sure your tank can stay stable and your current animals can stay healthy.

Back