Corals without a Protien skimmer??

i wouldent risk it personaly but some people have better luck than others could be possible with a ton of water changes i would guess, or a good algae scrubber

Most nano reefers don't run skimmers. Not really feasible if you have a small set up. Just keep up with very regular water changes, as that's going to be the only form of nutrient export you will have (unless you're running an algae scrubber or refugium, but if you're doing that, you might as well throw a skimmer in that sump!). So just be diligent in your maintenance, and you can keep all sorts of coral.

As a matter of fact, there's a whole host of 10 gallon nano-reefs currently under construction, and I don't believe any of them is running a skimmer. I know I'm planning on doing an SPS heavy nano and I'm not running a skimmer on it. I may live to regret that decision, but that remains to be seen.

Anyway, good luck!

If you do want to run a skimmer, check out the hand blown glass skimmer by Glass nome, based out of Golden, Co. run with an airstone those things are actually pretty awesome. Ive seen several in person and im very impressed with their operation

Back