Corals

little_fish

Can you please Id?

1. The non-discript blob in the middle of the picture. It is some sort of encrusting coral growing around the rock.

DSCN2679.jpg

2. I know one of those is trumpet corals that look terrible, dont know if i can save them. The other i dont know what it is

DSCN2689.jpg

Hard to tell, but the first looks like an encrusting monti

can't tell the second bottom one, but the top is your trumpet. Has some meat on it and can be brought back if taken care of.

Your tank looks kinda new for those. How old is the tank, what type of lights and what are your perameters?

I'm sure someone on here will be able to give you a better ID, but it's kinda hard to see the pics.

The second one kinda looks like a chalice. Hard to tell though without some brighter lighting. The first could be a monti.

My lights are 4 bulb T5's with individual reflectors. And i agree my tank is probably a little new for them, but the guy i bought i bunch of live rock from this weekend just gave them to me because they looked like they werent going to make it.

Also, my parameters are:
SG: 1.026
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0<NO3<5
pH:8.1 (kinda low because my light had only turned on a few hours prior.)

No loss if they die, but i would like to give them a fighting change. Where should they be placed?

Thanks!

Kinda depends. What kind of light were they under before? The monti likes lots of flow, and the trumpet about mid flow.

If they were under strong light I would put them mid tank, if they were under low light start at the bottom and slowly move them up to acclimate them to the stronger lights.

Well, im not exactly sure how powerful the guys lights were. They were a homemade LED setup. They guy had a tube nem that was doing well, but he also fed it regularly. They currently are in the middle of the tank, with some middle flow, so ill leave them mid level and move the monti to a higher flow area.

The possible monti tends to extend these tiny, tiny tentacles from little circular areas. Im not sure if that is sign of health and happiness or what.

Tube anemones are nonphotosynthetic, so that would have done okay in the dark. If I had to guess, I'd say the guy didn't have nearly enough light, which is probably why the corals are in such bad shape. That the monti is extending polyps is a good sign.

Excellent, all of his low light coral looked fine and look extremely happy in my tank.

Well, hopefully theses guys can turn the corner and perk up some.

Back