cpr skimmer

lilduud

Reefing newb
i just bought a used cpr backpack skimmer. its the venturi method one. the guy replaced the rio 600 witha rio 800... anyway im running it in my tub to clean it... but the bubbles are mondo! not like little itty bitty protein skimmer bubbles... like tear drop side bubbles... i know its not normal for a long term thing but is it just the break in? and also i picked up some maxijet 1200s... could i use that instead of the rio 800 and if so how do i make it suck up air as well... thanks!

I would look to see if you could find a needle wheel impellor for the pumps. Needle wheels chop up the air bubbles nice and fine so they have more surface area.

Also, there might be an adjustment on it to change the amount of air that is getting sucked in.

Freshwater will make the bubbles much larger and lighter.That is why skimmers are useless in freshwater tanks.If water is push through the chamber too fast,it could overflow or less contact time for the microbubbles in the chamber.So,I'm not sure if replacing the stock pump with a much larger one will make thing worst.Your question about the venturi.There is or should be a airline hose that goes from the pump to somewhere out of water.maybe the inlet pipe where air can get drawn in and mix with the water.

i dont think theres anything on the pump itself to adjust that but i have a control valve on the air inlet tube. i think illprobly end up just buying a new pump. i cant find any needle wheel impellers for the rio brand of pumps.

+1 freak
I assumed he was running it in saltwater.

Also, the air adjustment would be on the air tubing.

I would check to see how it runs in saltwater before you go out and buy anything for it.

heh.... yeaaa sooooi set it up on the tank and the bubbles are right haha. however i think the power of the pump does kinda work against it.... when i lessen the air it raises the pressure and the level an inch almost. also the noise is HORRENDOUS! god its so loud its awful... it better quiet down soon.....

thats irritating... so it was running fine for like almost an hour and i just checked on it and the cup is full... hmmm why the fuck is the cup fulll... oh maybe because the moron replaced the pump with a bigger one so it slowly makes the water level rise. im so annoyed right now. what ever at least what i payed the guy plus the cost of a new CORRECTLY SIZED pump is still less than the skimmer itself. good call on the over active pump thing reeffreak.

Back