Crazy Crab story

Old_Moe

Reefing newb
I got 2 emerald crabs with my CUC for my new tank ( about the size of a quarter or less each ). All has been going well over the last 3 weeks or so. Both of them have been out in the open most of the day and very entertaining for us to watch... eating tons and then throwing up tons of white dust...

in the past few days both crabs have gone into hiding ( not very good hiding spots since the holes are in plane sight to us )... so I was worried and starting to supplement nori sheets to their diet ( both creaping out and eating it )

This morning I was a peeping tom with a flashlight and I notice one of the crabs lying on its back... dead. rats!

then as I was looking around the tank I see this monster crab!!!! that I have never seen before ( I am pretty sure its an emerald also ) this thing has claws on it like a lobster!!! it is huge, the body looked easily 2times to 3times the size of the original 2, maybe half dollar size or so for the shell alone. I think I am going to test the water for performance enhancing substances... I think it is on crab-roids or something :D

How could this thing hide for so long? Do I need to worry about the other little guy? I assume the big one kicked the crap out of the little one last night.

The dead one was not a molt, I got it out of the tank and it was more than just a shell.

so as of 7am I was down to 1 emerald in the tank... now I am back up to the original count of 2.. crazy start to the day.

I would still try and get the other crab out, even emeralds will go after fish and other inverts when they get large enough.

And you would be surprised by how well those crabs can hide, he probably came in on a piece of live rock

things can hitch in the strangest of ways I had some crabs hitch inside cluster clams on my live rock. then once in the tank they grew to a point where they pop open the clam shells and free roam the tank. Hell the gorilla crabs I had broke out of there rock at first making there hovels larger. also you could have a clutch hided in live rock that was covered that you did not really take note of. you should snap a photo of this monster crab I'd love to see it.

I dont even what to tell you how much time and effort this took... embarrassing :mrgreen:

To put scale to it, the hole ( I think is about 1.5in wide by 2 in long ) guessing by some plastic hose clamps I use for nori strips.

I think I may need to remember how I caught blue claws in the Chesapeake as a kid. hahaha

and I need my eyes checked. I can't believe this "thing" has been in my tank the whole time....

IMG_8342_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8339_edited-1.jpg

I dont even what to tell you how much time and effort this took... embarrassing :mrgreen:

Awesome shot :Cheers:

they can hide better than we ever think they can. Any crack or crevice, nook and cranny they can find they will hide they are closely related to decorator crabs also. So that should key in on being able to blend well beyond our first, second even fifth glance. one of mine stayed in its cave so long that it had algae growing on it in places.

I would still try and get the other crab out, even emeralds will go after fish and other inverts when they get large enough.

So you think crabs are definitely a bad idea? My LFS guy recommended the emerald crabs for bubble algae (as usual I didn't buy before doing my own research first). I would hate to lose my beloved royal gramma to one of these guys. I read in another post that porcelain crabs are safe, but not sure if they also eat bubble algae.

So you think crabs are definitely a bad idea? My LFS guy recommended the emerald crabs for bubble algae (as usual I didn't buy before doing my own research first). I would hate to lose my beloved royal gramma to one of these guys. I read in another post that porcelain crabs are safe, but not sure if they also eat bubble algae.

My favorite crab's are pom pom crabs, Arrow Crabs, anemone crabs, porcelain crabs and electric blue leg hermits oh and sand sifting crabs for you I'd say just research and work out a path for your tank. we are all here for help and opinions as needed just remember to research and reef gently

My favorite crab's are pom pom crabs, Arrow Crabs, anemone crabs, porcelain crabs and electric blue leg hermits oh and sand sifting crabs for you I'd say just research and work out a path for your tank. we are all here for help and opinions as needed just remember to research and reef gently

Thanks ZyberGoby, I realize there are so many opinions on everything in this hobby, and pluses and minuses to anything we put in our tanks. Guess that's what makes it so interesting. Everyone has to decide for themselves if the risk that one species could harm another is worth it, if they really love having that crab (or whatever) or think it's beneficial, then the benefit outweighs the risk for their tank.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean exactly by "reef gently"? I assume you mean take things slow, don't buy livestock you can't support, etc. but is there something else I should know being fairly new to this forum? Thanks :D

99% of crabs will become opportunist predators when given the chance, especially when they get large. This doesnt apply to pom poms or porcelains though. You are right though, (some) emeralds are great for eating bubble algae, which is why they are really popular to have in our tanks. They are just better behaved when they are smaller.

Back