"Creating" Live Rock

rwynn

Big Daddy
Hey all,

I am about to start my first marine aquarium and am trying to get a plan of action for how I want to do everything.

To save money I have read it is possible to convert dead porous rock into live rock.

I will be doing this all in my main 40g tank and adding fish/inverts as I get the tank cycled properly and the dead rock alive.

I am primarily wondering how much total live rock I will eventually need, and to start the seeding process how much do I need to purchase and put in the tank with my dead rock, also are there additives that can be purchased to accelerate the process?

As yall can tell I am brand new so please, as much description as possible is appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Welcome to the site and the hobby Robert.
Some folks will say that you'll need at least 40 pounds of live rock.I think that as long as your within a few pounds that you'll be good.Just get yourself 30 to 35 pounds of good dry base rock,then add 2 or 3 good looking pieces of live rock.Then once the tank is cycled,the base should be becoming live.Its the bacteria that makes live rock live any way.

Thanks, that is about what I had picked up from other forum posts and websites should cut the rock costs down significantly!

Indeed, I am getting the tank from my brother who is upgrading but was just using this one as a freshwater headboard on his bed.

The idea here is to afford a good enough lighting system for my fish/rock with enough intensity to add coral later once I get the tank stable and have some on the job experience with the tank.

I was looking at d2mini's build thread and plan to move in that general direction long term.

Back