Critique my tank and sump!

felixfish

newbie reefer
I would like the experts and reef keepers help me add, improve, or critique my piece of the ocean. Here is a short journey of things i've changed, and learned.

Here is a current shot at my 55g. I went for the minimalistic look and added a lot of my live rock to my sump.

PICT0515 by felix_434, on Flickr

When I started the sump:
I also have a unique 29G sump tank unlike Berlin or typical set-ups. To make a long story short, I attempted to add baffles after my ATO (Algae Turf Scrubber), to a HOB skimmer, then to my return pump. I have changed a lot from skimmer only to HOB refugium, to cutting holes in the wall and adding a 29G sump tank in my furnace room behind the tank.

IMG_1051 by felix_434, on Flickr

Well the baffles gave way and now I’m not using baffles, which I don't get any micro bubbles.
I ran just my old Reef Octopus HOB with my ATS.

IMG_1068 by felix_434, on Flickr

My sump now houses my ATS, BRS reactor, HOB skimmer, ATO, filter sock & holder, and heater. I have a bunch of my live rock from the DT in my sump as well.

Untitled by felix_434, on Flickr

ATS

IMG_1483 by felix_434, on Flickr

Filter sock and holder

And our hungry cat Mudo :-D

PICT0502 by felix_434, on Flickr

I want to strive to have mostly soft coral maybe some LPS tank, and appreciate your feedback. I have a Solar Extreme 4 T5 with 2 -10K and 2 actinic's.

Looks awesome!! My only question is whether the rock is resting on the sand in your tank? It looks like it from the pics, but I can't tell. If it is, you'll want to adjust it because sand will erode and dissolve over time, potentially causing a rock slide. If the rock is already resting on the bottom, then keep up the good work!

And I agree, the kitty pic is fab!

When i re-aquascaped, i pushed the rock down as far as I could down in the sand. I'll be monitoring it (daily) and hopefully not crush anything or anyone! Thanks

+1 on everybody, it looks awesome. If you are looking for ways to make it look even better, maybe go with black PVC pipe in and behind the tank (sump doesn't matter). It will blend in a lot more and distract less from the tank. I always strive for as natural a look as I can in my tank (e.g. hide powerheads, no cords behind the tank etc). These things distract from the beauty of the ocean. Your tank looks awesome though, better than a lot I have seen before.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I know we all learn something in this hobby everyday and follow most of your guys threads. I would like to change things like making a dedicated power center to clean up all my power cords and that. Also getting some spa flex piping for my return for an improved flow.

Back