crushed coral in my filter basket

AHill40

reefer head
Im thinking of using some crushed coral in one of my media baskets,I have a fluval 405 filter. Would this have any benifit to the filtering procees could it help or be a bad Idea. Im trying to figure out on how to get some pics of my tank on profile still learning how to used this site:frustrat: and a cool site this, but any ways If any one can help me Id be very thank full to yall,,Oh yea hope to see and meet some of you all this week end at the frag show in Murfresbro. Art

Crushed coral is a very bad idea. As for pics where do you want to post them at? Most use photobucket then post the img tag.

I wouldn't do it either. If you can get away from the canister filter all together. If you have sponges or filter floss in there you should clean it every week if not every couple of days. The stuff gets trapped in there and rots.

Ya Oscarsdad is correct but if it is your only means of filtration then you dont have much of a choice but I'd start thinking of a sump/refugium/skimmer setup.

Same as what has been said. However, to add to it, clean out your canister filter every week or two. It will help keep it from becoming a nitrate trap.

Well alrighty then I'll skip that Idea. Thanks a pant load Because that all sounds like that woud be a crappy situation, LOL. Thanks for yalls in put. Ill try some live rock rubble instead, My canister will have to do for now.

Yote....Well I was also running a little tetra
skimmer but I think I read some where that would also be a nitrate factory using a canister filter and a protein skimmer so I toke it out. Im not really having any problems with my water conditions I was just trying to learn and experiment with new things,what will work or not, but any suggestion will help, I might need to look in to and better filter syestem, It seems as though some dont like the canister filters to much,what do you think? let me know

I agree with em on canister filters.You've about got to clean them daily to keep the nitrates down.The filter floss dont remove anything from the water,it just traps it.
Now a good skimmer,thats a different story.I personally wouldnt have a saltwater tank of anykind without a good skimmer.With the skimmer and 1 to 2 pounds of live rock per gallon of tank size,is really all the filter you need on a salty tank.
But I would keep the canister to run carbon and phosphate media in,for maybe a week out of a month.Especially if your doing a reef set up.

Last edited:
I personally use a canister filter and have excellent results. However, it has to be cleaned on a regular basis to ensure there isn't any nitrate build-up. I usually clean mine once a week, when doing water changes.

A friend of my shut his tank down and I bought all of the rock and live rock he had in it. Im not sure how many pounds of rock there was but I filled up 3 5 gal buckets and got a instant ocean protien skimmer ( which I had found out that its not the greatest skimmer out there but i got it to work pretty good) and three power heads that sweep from side to side for 150 bucks, Yote when you speek of a skimmer are you talking about protine skimmer? or a hang on the back filter skimmer???
A lot of the rock had a good amount of corroline alge and also a lot of green thick alge ( looked like grass from my back yard) and I spent about 5 hours cleaning it off so i lost some of the corroline but its really starting to grow fairly well Ive had the rock in there for about a month now.
Also whent to the frag swap saturday and had a cool time meeting poeple and learning a little more about some of the corrals and such I bought some elk horn coral, 5 polips of Gods armor and two other frag with about 10-13 poylip altogether that I cant even remember there names, All for 20 bucks but they had some cool stuff up there.

Back