CUC for new tank

Tropical Baker 17

Reefing newb
Ok so I finally have my 55gal all set up and completely cycled with 40# sand and 60#LR. For my first addition I added in a Strawberry Basslet last week along with 2 hermits. The LFS was pretty wiped out stock-wise from the holiday season so I wasnt able to really pick up anything else in terms of a CUC. On friday I was planning on stopping back in after they get their shipment to pick up a pair of clowns. The 2 clowns will be my only addition for a good while (probably 3 or 4 months).

So my question is what should I add in terms of a CUC for my tank with this bioload? I am thinking about just ordering from reefcleaners but their pre-made CUCs seem to be way too much IMO. I do want to add 3 more hermits (I love watching them!) then whatever snails are needed to help keep the sand bed stirred and glass clean. My real worry is about them starving since there is no alegea growing in the tank besides some coraline on the piece of LR I picked up from the LFS.

thoughts?

PS - I also have an in-tank refuge that I am going to load with some cheato and
add pods into. I uploaded a picture of the order I was thinking about getting

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
the CUC's from John @ reefcleaners are a great way to go. If you are concerned with what is advertised then I suggest going with a smaller crew because he is very well known for sending extras.

I usually wait until the first sign of diatoms before ordering a CUC so that way it isnt way out of hand by the time the crew arrives, and they can make quick work of it.

the CUC's from John @ reefcleaners are a great way to go. If you are concerned with what is advertised then I suggest going with a smaller crew because he is very well known for sending extras.

I usually wait until the first sign of diatoms before ordering a CUC so that way it isnt way out of hand by the time the crew arrives, and they can make quick work of it.

This also makes sure the maximum number of them have plenty of food to get them kick started.

So essentially I should wait to see a diatom bloom before purchasing which is fine. But the question of how many I'm still not sure about. So since it will only ne 3 fish should I purchase a package for a 30gal? Or will I still need the amount for a 55gal. I don't want them to starve if I get too many when the time comes but I also don't want to pay $28 shipping twice

I would start with the smaller package, then buy more later on if you need them. You may find that you just don't need that many. And if you buy too many in the beginning, they could starve.

Also, if you e-mail him and 'splain what you are doing.. he will advise and work with you accordingly.

Back