CUC suggestions.

kwsm

Reefing newb
Exactly how big of a CUC should I have in a 55g? I don't have a huge bioload atm, just two clowns and a damsel. Intentions of adding a Foxface within a few weeks.

CUC currently consists of:

1 Emerald Crab
3 Hermits
1 Short-spine Urchin
2 Peppermint Shrimp

I had a mexican turbo for a bit but it died, and the more I read on them the more I hear that they just do that for seemingly no reason. They just die. Trying to find the cause of his death was fruitless. Everything tested within an ideal range, no fluctuations or anything. And the shrimp that were in there were fine and never seemed bothered. So I just assumed that if anything was overly wrong, the rest of my inverts would have shown some sort of distress.

If other types of snails are the same way then I'm sort of turned off of them anyway. I don't really want to get things that I can't keep alive obviously haha. Plus from what I've heard, the urchins will plow through algae much better than the snails anyway.

So should I add much more? If so, what? What is a good guideline for CUCs in relation to the size of the tank?

I would perhaps recommend a diamond goby or similar "sleeper" goby (railway, tiger, dragon) to help turn over your sand and keep it clear of detritus. Also a few (5-10) nassarius snails, which are able to right themselves if they fall over, also turn over your sand, and will help remove any uneaten food. IME they are hardier than other snails.

is it possible to supplement their diet? how hard would it be to target feed them?

on another note, how long does a tank take to "mature" enough to house things like stars and mandarins?

Sand-sifting stars typically don't do well in a young tank. But brittle and serpent stars are excellent additions to the CUC that will do well in any tank.

Back