Cuc.

crazymman

Reefing newb
I currently have 10 blue leg hermits, 10 turbo snails, 2 Nass snails, a sand sifting star, and a peppermint shrimp. There is still quite a bit of algae on the glass and detruis on the rocks and sand. What else should I get to help? This is a 55 gallon tank.

more snails. Also, you need to find out the cause of the algae. Could be you're feeding too much, leaving the lights on too long, old bulbs, etc. Do you have an algae magnet to clean the glass?

I do have a magnet but the algae won't come off. It's not hair algae, it's not hairy at all. Looks real thin just won't rub off.

more snails. Also, you need to find out the cause of the algae. Could be you're feeding too much, leaving the lights on too long, old bulbs, etc. Do you have an algae magnet to clean the glass?
These are a must,but i agree,you need to figure out whats causing your algae.
Its coralline then

I do have a magnet but the algae won't come off. It's not hair algae, it's not hairy at all. Looks real thin just won't rub off.

It's just algae, I get it as well. It will come off but you've gotta stay on top of it. Once it sits for too long the mag float has a tough time removing it. You can do a couple of different things.

1. Your LFS will more than likely sell a little stick with a scraper on the end of it. About $10.

2. They will also sell a stick witha scrubber, kinda looks spongy but more stiff.

You can buy one or the other or both. I generally use the scrubber because it covers more area quicker. Use those and then every other day use the mag float and you won't have the problem anymore.

Thanks guys. My snails werent even moving for a few days after I added that 50 pounds of rock but now there back in action. I did lose one snail, he was big not sure if it was just his time or what but the rest seem fine. I have the big turbo snails.

Thanks guys. My snails werent even moving for a few days after I added that 50 pounds of rock but now there back in action. I did lose one snail, he was big not sure if it was just his time or what but the rest seem fine. I have the big turbo snails.

Which I dont like by the way, There always pissing off my corals and knock them over sometimes.

Thats why I dont get Turbo snails.:D
I'll go for the smaller asterias and trochus snails instead.

yea im gonna phase them out as they die off. Whatever that algae was took a razor to get it off. I dont think my camera is good enough to get a shot of it. I need to pull a Yote and get a badass camera.

Back