Cucumbers?

Eissie

Reefing newb
just wondering the lowdown on a cucumber. Dont know much about them but i might can get one really cheap.

Cucumbers are pretty inexpensive. They are available at any grocery store. They make a real good salad too. Just dice them up, add some tomato and some dressing. :mrgreen:

OK bad joke I know.

I've had a black, sandshifting one in my tank for about a year...and he keeps my sand bed turned over well. I don't know if he's toxic or not.

I have a pink one and a donkey dung (sand sifting) the Pink one is a filter feeder mostly immobile but will move its self to be in the flow line. The donkey dung stays on the sand if not under it. He loves to eat decay and poop. The both of them I never directly feed. For myself I find them rather easy to care for and an awesome add-on to your CUC. For being toxic yes some are do look in to it and weigh the risk. but they are awesome....

Would it be something for my 29? It would seem they meed a lot of sand bed, and mine is kinda rough. Lots of crushed shells and stuff.

Spiny Sea Cucumber, Green w/Pink & Yellow

Minimum Tank Size
: 30 gallons
Care Level: Difficult Temperament: Peaceful Reef Compatible: Yes Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025 Max. Size: 5" Color Form: Green, Pink, Yellow Venomous: Poisonous When Stressed or Dies Diet: Filter Feeder Compatibility: View Chart Origin: Indonesia Family: Holothuriidae

Sea Cucumber

Care Level: Easy Temperament: Peaceful Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025 Max. Size: 1' Color Form: Black, Green, Red, Tan Venomous: Poisonous When Stressed or Dies Diet: Omnivore Origin: Indo-Pacific Family: Holothuriidae

more info just click the link :D

Sea Cucumbers: Aquarium Sea Cucumber Species for Saltwater Aquariums

The tiger tail cucumbers and other sand sifting ones that come from the gulf of Mexico are non-toxic/venemous. I had one in my original 28g and 3 in my 75.

The tiger tail cucumbers and other sand sifting ones that come from the gulf of Mexico are non-toxic/venemous. I had one in my original 28g and 3 in my 75.

Yup, i've got white, brown, and black ones from the gulf. No problems.

Neat-o. This one is yellow. Dont know much about it. Im gunna get him maybe as a x-mas present to myself. We'll see. Thanks so much guys <3

The yellow ones I've seen were filter feeders, not sand sifters. I haven't had good luck with them at all, but it may be because my water is too clean.

yellowseacucumber.jpg

Well this is it. Guess those "branches" are the filters. Anyone know?

Back