Cukes

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
Are sea cucumbers difficult? Does anyone have a particular one they would suggest for a fairly new reefer? Thanks. :twocents:

The more colorful ones can be an issue with the possibility of wiping out your tank if it is scared or killed...I've personally owned a black cucumber and loved it...it was constantly cleaning the sand and active. I will surely get another one soon!

I had one. I didn't like it. Some of them will bury themselves in the sand when they sleep. Mine did this, and died. My nitrates spiked to 150+ and stayed high over time, because its rotting body in the sand was slowly being released into the water. I tried to find the body but couldn't. Many of them release toxins when scared or when they die.

I had a beautiful one that I got from the LFS (SWS) where they told me how completely safe it was to keep. I was a beginner so they saw me coming. It died and wiped out the tank completely! :(

Hmmmmmmmmmm...they sound interesting to watch. They also sound risque to have in your tank. Since I'm a beginner, I think I'll stay away for now. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I wouldn't add a cucumber for 8 to 12 months after your tank has cycled. I have a pink and black one in my 180 and it does a great job at eating my detritus, I have tiger tails and a medusa worm in my 850 also do a good job. (medusa worms are a bit harder to keep and highly toxic if they stress)

Back