Curled up anenome

BnLG

Reefing newb
My bubbletip anenome has curled itself up inside out and is hanging upside down. It has been this way all day, did not respond to the frozen shrimp I offered it. Why doe it do this and should I be concerned?

Need more info like water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, salinity, etc...)--- I see you have a biocube, is it stock lighting?

If your tank has just been set up since December it is way too early for an anemone. The stock power compact lighting isn't typically strong enough to support an anemone either.

Has it been expelling any waste out of it's mouth?

Last edited:
+1 salt

more info would help us tell you whats wrong
but like salt said, if you tank isn't even a month old and has just finished its cycling, its no where near ready to maintain a good enough environment for an anemone. What lighting do you have?

The nitrates and nitrites are both zero. the ph is between 7.5 and 8, kh is 0 and ch is high. salinity is 30 and sg is 1.022. Yes we have the original lighting that came with the biocube. it has been expelling waste and seemed to be happy until today. we have had it for 5 days now.

It sounds like your BTA is severly stressed. A new tank is not very stable which causes fluctuating parameters. Don't try to feed it when it is rolled inside out as it only stresses it more.

If you can take the nem back I would highly recommend it because it is highly likely it will not make it.

I started with the same setup as you have and with the power compact lighting it makes a difficult to keep species even more difficult to keep.

no he looks fine, except curled up inside out. Although he is beginning to open up a bit, now. He seems to be hiding from the light, as he is hanging upside down clinging to an overhanging rock.

The nitrates and nitrites are both zero. the ph is between 7.5 and 8, kh is 0 and ch is high. salinity is 30 and sg is 1.022.

You definitely need to adjust your parameters to support an anemone. Your sg should be closer to 1.025-1.026, and salinity should be 35. 1.022 is okay for fish only but not anemones and corals. You need to raise it but do it slowly, not more than .001 per day. I'd take out a gallon of water a day and replace it with water that has a higher salinity, or use saltwater to top off each day until it is in decent range.

Your alk shouldn't be 0 - it should be somewhere between 8-12 dkh. If you did the test correctly and are getting 0 then I think your test kit needs to be replaced. I'd take a sample of your water to your LFS and have them test to confirm

Your pH is low - should be 7.8 - 8.3, and I'd try to keep it closer to 8.0-8.3 for the anemone. Its probably low because your salinity is low. You can open up a window in your house to get fresh air in to raise your pH.

As others have said, anemones need near perfect conditions that do not fluxuate. It is often really hard to maintain those conditions in a tank that has been set up for less than a year. Combine a new tank with inadequate lighting and you are looking at a disaster. When anemones die they release a toxin that can and likely will wipe out your entire tank. Yours sounds extremely stressed. At this point I would recommend removing it and taking it back to the LFS. I don't think it will recover in time in your tank before it dies, especially since its going to take you at least 3-4 days to get the salinity back in a decent range. If its foot is still attached to the rock, you can take the dull end of a cold butter knife and just set it against the foot and it should detach, or try placing a credit card at the edge of its foot. They don't like the feel of cold metal or the credit card. Once it detaches then you can place it in a bucket with water from your tank and take it back to the store. If it detaches from the rock on its own before you have a chance to remove it, then I'd get out of your tank as soon as possible before it dies.

Good luck!

Just a side note: It may recover after expelling its waste or zooxanthellae which ever the case and look as it did yesterday. However, it is going to continue this trend more frequently until it dies and/or disentegrates.

Anemones are considered "expert only" animals and are not recommended for tanks that have been set up for less than a year. I hope this one pulls through, but they usually do not survive in newly set up tanks. If it doesn't, you are better off trying some corals. Corals are much easier to keep than anemones and will do fine in your tank.

Back